A lot of Windows 8.1 users are trying to get rid of the lock screen and to tell you the truth I would to. It is quite annoying if you have a Windows 8.1 desktop or laptop and you have to go through the lock screen every time.
The Windows 8.1 lock screen can be removed by following one of the two options below. Depending on the version of Windows that you have one of them might not work properly for you. So follow the guidelines below and you will be able to fix this issue in just ten minutes of your time and also you will find out how you could switch the lock screen back on for future use if you want.
Tutorial for removing Windows 8.1 lock screen:
- Press and hold the “Windows” button and the “R” button on the keyboard.
- Now that you have the “Run” window opened up you will need to type in the run box “gpedit.msc”
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- Now you should have the “Group Policy” window in front of you.
- On the left side in that window left click or tap on “Computer Configuration”
- In the “Computer Configuration” folder left click or tap on “Administrative Templates”
- In “Administrative Templates” left click or tap on “Control Panel”.
- And in the “Control Panel” folder left click or tap on “Personalization”.
- After you got to “Personalization” folder you will have in the right menu a file with the name “Do not display the lock screen”. Double click (left click) or tap on the “Do not display the loc screen” feature.
- Set the value present in the feature above to “Enable”.Note: for enabling the lock screen go in “Do not display the lock screen” feature and set it to “Not Confirmed”
- Reboot the Windows 8.1 PC and see if you got your lock screen removed from the system.Also if you could not remove the lock screen by following this option please read the option two posted a little bit below.
- Press and hold the button “Window” and the button “R”.
- In the Run window that pops up write “regedit”.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard to open the “Registry Editor” window.
- Now after the Registry Editor window is opened left click or tap from the menu on the left side on “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”
- In the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” folder you will have to left click or tap on “Software”.
- In the “Software” folder left click or tap on “Policies”.
- In the “Policies” folder left click or tap on “Microsoft”.
- In the “Microsoft” folder you will find a “Windows” folder, left click or tap on it.
- In the “Windows” folder left click or tap on “Personalization”.
- On the right side of the window you should have a DWORD with the name “NoLockScreen”, double click (left click) on it and set the value field with “1”.
Note: if the “NoLockScreen” DWORD is not there you can create it and set the value to “1” afterwards.
- Close the “Registry Editor” window and reboot the Windows 8.1 device.
Above you have two methods on how to disable the lock screen for your Windows 8.1 device, this is especially useful for the desktop PCs and laptops but you can also do this for your tablets or Smartphones if you wish. If you have any questions or issues with the steps posted above contact us by writing in the comments field of this page situated below.
READ ALSO : Windows 8 vs Windows 10: Worth the Upgrade?