I know that many of you are wondering if you can change and place the drive letter before the drive names in Windows 10 Technical Preview and the answer to your question is yes. So by reading the lines below you will find out how to change the drive letters positions in Windows 10 Technical Preview and it will only take you a few minutes of your time.
The default status in the system of Windows 10 is that the drive letter is shown only after the drive name but with the help of some registry tweaks we can change this order that is showing in the “This PC” explorer. Also another idea to keep in mind is that before attempting the steps below you should make a back up of all your important files, folders and application seeing that we are going to the Registry Editor feature and if by any chance you do something wrong your operating system might get damaged.
Tutorial for switching the drive letters and drive names in “This PC” for Windows 10
- Press and hold the “Windows” button and the “R” button.
- You should have in front of you the Run window.
- In the run dialog box write the following: “regedit” without the quotes.
- Press the Enter button on the keyboard.
- The Registry Editor will pop up.
Note: If you are asked by a user account control window to allow access please left click or tap on the “Yes” button to proceed.
- Find on the left side panel the folder “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” and left click or tap on it to open.
- In the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER’ folder find and open “SOFTWARE”.
- In the “SOFTWARE” folder find and open “Microsoft”.
- Now in the “Microsoft” folder find and open “Windows”.
- Now within the “Windows” folder find the “CurrentVersion” folder and open it.
- From the “CurrentVersion” folder find and open the “Explorer” folder.
- In the Explorer folder search for the “ShowDriveLettersFirst” DWORD.
Note: You might not find the DWORD and in this case in the right side panel right click or hold tap on a blank spot, left click on the “New” sub-menu and select from there DWORD (32 – bit) Value. After you created it you will need to name it “ShowDriveLettersFirst” without the quotes.
- Now double click or double tap on the “ShowDriveLettersFirst” DWORD.
- In the value field you will have to write the number “4” without the quotes in order to set all your drive letters before the drive names.
- Left click or tap on the “OK” button to save your changes.
- Close the Registry Editor window now.
- Reboot your Windows 10 operating system first.
- After the device has started open the “This PC” folder to check if the drive letters show in the order you wish.
Note: If you wish to change back the drive letters and drive names you will only have to go back to the registry DWORD you changed and set the value to “0” without the quotes.
You now know how to change the drive letters position inside the Windows 10 Technical Preview operating system but if you do run into any issues along the way in this tutorial you are welcomed to write us in the comments section of the page situated below and me or one of my colleagues will help you further with your issues.