How to Show Drive Letters Before Drive Names in Windows 10
I know that many of you are wondering if you can change and place the drive letter before the drive names in Windows 10. The answer to your question is ‘Yes’. So, follow the instructions below to learn how to change the drive letter positions in Windows 10. This will only take you a few minutes of your time.
The default status in the system of Windows 10 is that the drive letter is shown only after the drive name. With the help of some Registry tweaks, we can change the order sothat it’s showing in the “This PC” explorer. Also, another idea to keep in mind is that before attempting the steps below, you should create a back up of all your important files, folders and applications. We are going to the Registry Editor feature and if, by any chance, something goes wrong, this will damage your operating system might get damaged.
How to show drive letters first in Windows 10
1. Tweak your Registry
- Press and hold the “Windows” button and the “R” button.
- You should have in front of you the Run window.
- In the run dialog box write the following: “regedit” without the quotes.
- Press the Enter button on the keyboard.
- The Registry Editor will pop up.
Note: If you are asked by a user account control window to allow access please left click or tap on the “Yes” button to proceed.
- Find on the left side panel the folder “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” and left click or tap on it to open.
- In the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER’ folder find and open “SOFTWARE”.
- In the “SOFTWARE” folder find and open “Microsoft”.
- Now in the “Microsoft” folder find and open “Windows”.
- Now within the “Windows” folder find the “CurrentVersion” folder and open it.
- From the “CurrentVersion” folder find and open the “Explorer” folder.
- In the Explorer folder search for the “ShowDriveLettersFirst” DWORD.
Note: You might not find the DWORD and in this case in the right side panel right click or hold tap on a blank spot, left click on the “New” sub-menu and select from there DWORD (32 – bit) Value. After you created it you will need to name it “ShowDriveLettersFirst” without the quotes.
- Now double click or double tap on the “ShowDriveLettersFirst” DWORD.
- In the value field you will have to write the number “4” without the quotes in order to set all your drive letters before the drive names.
- Left click or tap on the “OK” button to save your changes.
- Close the Registry Editor window now.
- Reboot your Windows 10 operating system first.
- After the device has started open the “This PC” folder to check if the drive letters show in the order you wish.
Note: If you wish to change back the drive letters and drive names you will only have to go back to the registry DWORD you changed and set the value to “0” without the quotes.
2. Use DriveLettersTool
If the idea of tweaking the Registry is not at all appealing to you, then you can install the DriveLettersTool. As its name suggests, this software lets you tweak Explorer settings so that you can change the drive letter order. More specifically, there are four options that you can choose from:
- You can use the Explorer default drive letter order. Example: Local Disk (D:)
- The tool can show drive letters before the drive name. Example: (D:) Local Disk
- The tool can display shows only network drive letters before the drive name.
- You can drop the drive letters entirely.
You now know how to change the drive letters position on the Windows 10 operating system. If you’ve run into any issues along the way, use the comments section below to let us know. We will help you fix these issues as soon as possible.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Second Hard Drive Not Detected in Windows 10
- Fix: How to fix ‘The drive cannot find the sector requested’ error
- 5 best software to recover damaged Windows hard drive
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Browsers are essential tools for surfing the Internet. Also, the interface of any browser is crucial for providing a user-friendly experience. However, this feature is […]
While using the Power Bi desktop app you may face some issues with your data and file. One such error is related to Power Bi […]
The built-in Windows Photos app allows you to edit photos as well as play videos of multiple formats apart from viewing images. Sometime, the app […]