- If Silhouette Studio is not responding, freezing, or crashing, it might have some compatibility issues with the system.
- The problems with the app might also be caused by some corrupted or damaged library files or an incomplete installation.
- Before making any changes to the program, make sure you back up your files and projects, just to be safe.
A large number of users have reported that Silhouette Studio keeps freezing when they try to work with this software.
This issue can prevent you from getting full access to your projects, and also stop you from creating new projects as well. This can be extremely frustrating, especially if you are pressured by a deadline.
For the reasons mentioned above, in this article, we will explore some of the best troubleshooting methods to deal with Silhouette Studio freezing while in use.
The solutions below will also help you if Silhouette Studio keeps crashing in Windows 10 or Windows 11 so read on.
What are the reasons for Silhouette Studio to stop responding, crash or freeze?
Like any other app, Silhouette Studio can suffer from problems reaching from an incomplete installation, missing files, compatibility issues and more.
There can be also the case of file corruption or simply that for some reason, it wasn’t updated to the latest version.
Luckily, in our guide below, we will tackle all the possible causes and provide you with the proper solutions to fix them.
Please follow the steps presented in this article in the order that they were written to avoid any unnecessary complications.
What to do if Silhouette Studio is crashing on Windows 10 & 11?
1. Run Silhouette Studio in Compatibility mode
- Right-click on the Silhouette icon on your desktop and select Properties.
- Inside the properties window, click on the Compatibility tab.
- Select the box for the Run this program in compatibility mode for and click on Windows 7 from the drop-down menu.
- Click Apply and try running Silhouette again.
If Silhouette Studio is not working on Windows 10, running it in Compatibility mode should do the trick and make the app run again.
This solution can also be helpful if Silhouette Studio is running slow although there are many other possible causes for that problem.
2. Update to the latest version of Silhouette Studio
- Visit the official Silhouette Studio website and download the latest stable version.
- Run and follow the on-screen instructions in order to install the software on your PC.
- Run Silhouette and see if the app keeps freezing.
Normally, Silhouette Studio should automatically download new updates so you don’t need to do this manually, as we explained above.
However, this solution will work even if it doesn’t do that. You can read more in our complete guide on what to do if Silhouette Studio doesn’t update automatically.
3. Clear Silhouette Studio preferences
- Make sure that Silhouette Studio is closed.
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- In the Run window, type in %appdata% and press Enter or click OK.
- Search for the folder named com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio, and delete it, including all subfolders.
- Empty Recycle Bin.
- Try to see if the issue persists by opening Silhouette Studio again.
This solution is also great if Silhouette Studio won’t open so follow the easy steps above to get it done in no time.
4. Restore your Silhouette Studio to factory settings
- Open Silhouette Studio.
- Inside the Edit menu, select Preferences.
- In the options window, select Advanced.
- Click on the Restore Factory Defaults button and confirm your choice.
- Check to see if the issue persists after this process is completed.
How to fix Silhouette Studio issues on Windows 11?
Luckily, all the solutions we applied for Windows 10 above will work on the new OS too. The software looks the same and you will finds that the menus are identical.
The only differences will appear on the design of the windows but not in their placement or location so you will find them easily.
In fact, the only notable distinction is the File Explorer which you will need to use in the Solution 3 from this guide and it looks a bit different.
How to set up the autoupdate option in Silhouette Studio?
As we’ve mentioned before, the app has a built-in autoupdate feature but if that is not working, you may be stuck with an old version that can cause problems.
That’s why we need to make sure that the function is working properly and we’re going to show you how to do that.
- Click on Edit from the top menu and select Preferences.
- Navigate to the Updates tab.
- Click on the Check for Updates tab and set it to Daily from the list of options.
- Now hit the Apply and OK buttons to confirm the setting.
If the update recurrence was set to Never, that most likely means your are running an old version that obviously can cause all sorts of issues.
In this article, we explored some of the best troubleshooting methods for dealing with Silhouette Studio not responding, freezing, crashing, and not opening issues.
We hope that our solutions helped you fix the app and now you are running it on Windows 10 or Windows 11 seamlessly.
You can also find out what to do if you receive the Silhouette Studio has encountered an error and must quit message and fix it quickly.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide worked for you, by using the comment section found below this article.