- Skype is one of the most popular instant messaging applications on the market.
- If you’re unable to make calls on Skype this article will provide you with several useful solutions.
- We covered Skype issues in the past, and if you’re having issues with Skype, check out our Skype section.
- For more Skype guides, tips and fixes, be sure to check out our Skype hub.
Skype is a great app that offers useful services for those who wants to chat with their friends, initiate video calls for free, debate projects with business partners in real time, share files and lot more.
Skype can be easily used on any platform and in particular, and the app works without any kinds of problems on any Windows device.
Well, recently more and more users are complaining about a new system issue which is caused by Skype.
In order to be more accurate, the users are saying that they cannot use Skype in order to call their friends or to connect with other people through a video call.
Moreover, Skype calls don’t go through error is being reported by many Windows users. So, as you can already tell, when dealing with the already mentioned situation, you will not be able to initiate or to receive calls through Skype.
There are many problems with Skype that can occur, and if Skype calls don’t go through on your PC, that can be a big problem. Speaking of Skype issues, users also reported the following problems:
- Skype calls won’t work – Several users reported that their Skype calls won’t work at all. This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it using one of our solutions.
- Skype calls won’t show up – According to users, sometimes Skype calls won’t show up on their PC at all. This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it by reinstalling Skype.
- Skype calls stuck on connecting, don’t connect – In some cases, your calls can get stuck while connecting. This is most likely caused by your Skype or network settings.
- Skype calls failing – Many users reported that Skype calls keep failing on their PC. This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it using one of our solutions.
What can I do if Skype calls don’t go through?
- Delete shared.xml file
- Check if Skype is up to date
- Use System Restore
- Reinstall Skype
- Check your call forwarding settings
- Change your Internet Options
- Make sure that Quiet hours aren’t enabled
1. Delete shared.xml file
- First of all, close the Skype app on your device.
- Press Windows Key + R keyboard keys to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run box type: %appdata%skype and press Enter or click OK.
- Search, find and remove the shared.xml file from the window that will be displayed on your device. Do note that your file might be named shared if file extensions feature is not enabled on your computer.
Once you delete the shared.xml file, try running Skype again and check if the issue still persists.
- READ ALSO: How to Uninstall Skype
2. Check if Skype is up to date
Skype will now check for available updates and download them in the background. After you update Skype to the latest version, the issue should be resolved and you’ll be able to use Skype without any problems.
3. Use System Restore
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore. Select Create a restore point from the menu.
- The System Properties window will now appear. Click on System Restore button.
- When System Restore window opens, click on Next.
- If available, check the Show more restore points option. Select the desired restore point and click on Next.
- Now follow the instructions on the screen to complete the restore process.
Once your PC is restored, your Skype calls should start working again. If you’re not a fan of System Restore, you can also restore your PC using a hard disk image.
Editor’s Note: This article continues on the next page.
Frequently Asked Questions
To start a video call on Skype, select the contact you wish to call and click the Video call button in the top-right menu.
In order for someone to call you on Skype, the caller needs to add you to the contacts list using your email address, Skype user name or phone number.
The cost to landline and mobile phones depends on the country you’re calling. You can get unlimited calls to the United States for $3.59 per month.