- Skype is one of the most used instant messaging apps, but Skype also has its share of issues.
- Many users reported that they are getting error 0x80070497 when using Skype.
- To fix error 0x80070497, you need to reregister the certain services.
- We covered Skype issues extensively in the past, and if you’re looking for more guides, check out our Skype hub.
Windows 10 is getting quite popular, and since it’s a free upgrade for all Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, it’s no wonder that most of them have switched to Windows 10.
Despite its popularity Windows 10 is still a new operating system, and there might be some errors, and speaking of errors one error that users report is 0x80070497 error with Skype on Windows 10.
How can I fix Skype error 0x80070497 in Windows 10?
1. Use Command Prompt
- Start Command Prompt. You can do so by pressing Windows Key+ X and choosing Command Prompt (Admin).
- Now you need to stop BITS service and Windows Update service from Command Prompt. To do so execute these two commands in Command Prompt:
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- Next, delete the qmgr*.dat files. To do this enter this in Command Prompt and press Enter:
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
If you’re trying this solution for the first time, skip this step and go to step 5. If you have tried all the steps already but with no success, repeat all the steps again, but this time don’t skip this step.
This is more aggressive method so use it carefully. Since this is aggressive method, we asked you to skip it before, but if you have tried all other steps while skipping this one, this time try these steps as well.
- Run these three commands in Command Prompt to rename the folders. Remember to press Enter after each command:
- Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore *.bak
- Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download *.bak
- Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 *.bak
- Next you need to reset the BITS service and Windows Update service to the default security descriptor. To perform this, you’ll need to enter these commands in Command Prompt:
- sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)
- sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)
- After that, enter the following into Command Prompt and press Enter.:
- cd /d %windir%\system32
- Enter this line in Command Prompt and press Enter:
- cd /d %windir%\system32
- Reregister the BITS files as well as Windows Update files. This step might take a while because there are a lot of commands that you need to enter. Remember to press Enter after each command.
- regsvr32.exe atl.dll
- regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
- regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
- regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
- regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
- regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
- regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
- regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
- regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
- regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
- regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
- regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
- regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- Next try resetting Winsock. To do this, enter:
- netsh reset winsock
- And press Enter to execute the command.
- Restart BITS service and Windows Update by entering this into Command Prompt:
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
As you can see error 0x80070497 is a bit complicated, but you should be able to fix it, if you carefully follow these steps.
FAQ: Learn more about Skype
- How do I fix my Skype?
In most cases, you can fix Skype issues simply by updating Skype to the latest version or by reinstalling it.
- Why does Skype stop working?
Skype can stop working if the Skype installation is corrupted or if your current version has certain bugs that cause this problem.
- Does Skype work without Internet connection?
Skype is an online service meaning that it won’t work without an Internet connection.
- Why do I need a Microsoft account to sign into Skype?
No, you don’t need to use Microsoft account to sign-in to Skype. You can just use your Skype username instead.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in Septrember 2015 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.