- Skype is one of the most popular instant messaging applications on all major platforms.
- According to some users, Skype won’t work at all on their PC.
- To fix this problem, you just need to adjust your privacy settings from the Settings app.
- If you’re having more problems with Skype, you should know that we cored Skype issues extensively in our Skype hub, so be sure to check it out.
Microsoft is working hard on its operating system, Windows 10, and speaking of which, another annoying bug has been found in Windows 10. Bear in mind that Windows 10 is always work in progress, so new bugs are constantly unveiled.
One of the majors bugs is related to Skype, and this bug will prevent the app from loading in the Modern UI environment.
As far as we know, there is a compatibility issue between the newer builds of Skype and the preview version of Windows 10, and due to this issue Skype client crashes at launch.
If you’re using Windows 10, and you’re experiencing this problem, there is a simple workaround that will fix this problem.
This could be a big problem for all those who want to stay in contact with their loved ones, but still don’t want to use Desktop version of the software.
What can I do if Skype stopped working?
Change privacy settings
The solution to this problem was delivered by Gabriel Aul, the Windows Insider Program lead.
In order to fix this issue you just need to give Skype permission to access the webcam from the PC Settings menu. To do this, close Skype and follow these simple instructions:
- Open the PC Settings app. You can access it from This PC folder as for now, PC Settings has replaced the classic Control Panel on the Ribbon in File Explorer. Now open the Privacy options.
- Click Webcam, and turn it on for Skype.
- Just relaunch Skype, and your problem should be solved
After doing this Skype should be working normally with Windows 10. If you found some other solution for this problem, or you have some other Skype-related problem, please share your thoughts with us in the comment section.
UPDATE: There have been many similar reports since the writing of this post. It appears that Skype‘s access to your webcam is often blocked when your computer installs a new update.
Fortunately, this was due to Windows 10’s new privacy settings. Granting the respective apps access to your camera and microphone instantly fixed the problem.
However, if this quick solution didn’t solve your issue, you need to use additional troubleshooting methods. For more information on how to fix Skype problems, check out the guides listed below.
FAQ: Learn more about Skype
- Why did Skype stop working?
There are numerous factors that can cause Skype to stop working such as your privacy settings or corrupt Skype installation.
- How do I fix Skype crashing on Windows 10?
To fix Skype crashes, try updating Skype to the latest version or reinstalling Skype.
- How do people call me on Skype?
For people to call you on Skype, first they need to add you to their contact list. They can add your Skype ID, email or number. After doing that, they just need to select your name and click the Call button.
- How do I stop Skype from closing?
To fix this problem, be sure to clear the Skype cache. If that doesn’t work, download and install the latest Skype version.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2014 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in December 2014 and was revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.