- Book covers need to be attractive so that potential readers become curious enough to pick up the book.
- More so, the cover itself can become a trademark of the book, so designing it properly is extremely important.
- Adobe InDesign is a great tool for accomplishing just that, along with Photoshop, Spark, and other tools we will be mentioning below.
- For more great articles like this, check out our Graphic and Design page.
After you’ve finished the hard work and created the book that you’ve always dreamed about, you have to make sure that it sells by creating the most awesome cover design.
That’s where software to create professional book covers comes in handy. We picked up the best tools for creating a book cover to help you with your choice because there is a huge variety of such software on the market and choosing the best one can become a challenge.
That being the case, if you want to design book covers, you should always go for the best tool that money can buy, and in the case at hand that is Adobe InDesign.
This desktop publishing and typesetting software application can be used to create any type of works such as posters, flyers, brochures, magazines, newspapers, presentations, books, and ebooks.
Of course, given the wide range of capabilities, designing a book cover should be a piece of cake.
Together with the built-in compatibility with other Adobe products such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Adobe InDesign will allow you to create the most attractive cover ever.
Here are some of the perks of using Adobe InDesign:
- Great for designing books and ebooks
- Compatible with other Adobe products
- Professional-level publishing tool
- Familiar for those used to Adobe software
- Can be tested out over a 7-day period
The second entry on our list is yet another Adobe product and for good reason. There’s just no way you can talk about image editing or creating digital art without at least thinking about Adobe Photoshop.
The program features a wide collection of tools that can help you create any book cover regardless of theme and art style, and this can be further expanded upon with its extensive plug-in support.
More so, you can import and export your projects back an forth between Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, so you always have the best tools at your disposal without worrying about conversions.
Speaking of which, all Adobe Creative Suite programs can now be tested for free during a 7-day trial period. This allows you to see just how well you can get along with these programs before actually committing to a full subscription.
Here are some of the perks of using Adobe Photoshop:
- Great import and export capabilities with other Adobe products
- Can be enhanced with plug-ins
- Libraries can be expanded with official and user-created content
- Full layer-support
- You can test it before you buy it for 7 days
Adobe Spark is a free book cover maker that allows you to craft a vision from your very own writing. Here are the best features that come together with this tool:
- You’ll be able to find a book cover template that suits your style and genre.
- You can also customize the template until you get the cover of your dreams.
- Using Adobe Spark, you can design a cover that really tells your story and creates an emotional impact.
- You can boost your readership and creativity with this tool.
- Adobe Spark provides you beautiful typography and a chance to choose from a variety of free professionally designed fonts.
- Select from thousands of pictures from the web or pick the ones from your personal collection.
- You can also explore a vast variety of layouts, fonts, colors, and easily tweak them with photos, text, and icons.
Canva’s Free Book Cover Maker allows you to make book covers and it’s effortless to design them even for beginners. Check out the most important features that you’ll be able to enjoy using this tool:
- Canva’s Free Book Cover Maker allows you to choose from hundreds of layouts to create a memorable cover.
- Using this tool, you’ll be able to create a beautiful book cover in under 5 minutes.
- You’ll get the chance to customize the book cover to suit your book genre.
- You can change the images, fonts, background, and colors.
- Canva’s Free Book Cover Maker provides you access to more than 1 million stock images, illustrations, and graphics.
This is a free and easy tool to virtually design quality box shot for your software. You really need a professional looking box shot in order to attract as many customers as possible to take a look at your product.
Check out the most important features that are packed in this tool:
- You will be able to create an impressive box shot to make your software outstanding.
- 3D Box Shot Maker accepts a front image and a side image as input, and it generates the final image on the fly.
- This tool also offers a shadow and a reflection of the final image.
- 3D Box Shot Maker will show the preview image instantly as you adjust the size and the other parameters that are involved.
Scribus is a page layout program that encourages beginners and professionals alike to create the perfect book covers and more. Check out the main features that are packed in this useful tool:
- Scribus is a reliable and free desktop publishing tool.
- The software is sent to users with over 200 color palettes to offer everyone the opportunity to design the covers just like they imagined.
- You can rely on the best PDF creation, and this is the key to a successful print run.
- Scribus is available for most operating systems including Windows.
- This tool comes in two flavors, development and stability.
It’s recommended that you use the stable version because, in the development one, things are regularly changing.
The eCover Go is the Photoshop eCover Action Script Package. It uses the latest and the most sophisticated technology that makes creating e-book covers and designs for digital products easier than ever before.
Check out the best features of the program:
- You’ll be able to create e-books, 3D models, for your e-book’s cover effortlessly.
- You can create over 200 different cover types.
- Your cover will have a web-ready resolution and transparent background as well.
- You can render more than 75 cover types in just one go.
- This tool comes with a professional and fast rendering engine.
- Using eCover Go, you’ll get fantastic and professional results, but it’s best to see this for yourself. Get this tool from its official website to check out more impressive features.
These are the best five tools for creating book covers and either one you choose, it will definitely become a trustworthy partner in your book creation process.
FAQ: Learn more about designing book covers
- How do you design a book cover?
You need to understand the elements of a cover, research the market, choose a starting design direction, figure out what the design needs to emphasize, and choose the graphics and fonts. Once you collect the initial feedback, you need to know what the printer needs.
- What software can I use to design book covers?
The best tools that you can use in order to design a book cover is Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Spark.
- What should a book cover include?
As a general rule, a book cover should include the title and author name, but you can also include the subtitle, photos, background images, or graphics. All of this can be easily achieved if you use one of the image editors included in this list.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.