Dragon NaturallySpeaking is the best speech recognition app for Windows 10 that you can download.
Using a next-generation speech engine and deep learning technology, Nuance Dragon improves your productivity and simplifies your workflow by writing down everything you dictate. It’s up to 3x faster than typing if you play your cards right.
With support for 12 languages, Dragon NaturallySpeaking adapts to your speech patterns and accepts unknown words that you apply in your industry, such as education, healthcare, financial services, social services, telecom, or government.
The more time you spend with it, the smarter it gets by adapting to your unique voice, good dictation habits, and various environmental factors. It’s all thanks to the AI‘s deep learning technology.
- Streamlined interface with interactive tutorials
- Excellent accuracy, even with noisy backgrounds
- Triple your transcription speed with good diction
- Built-in macros to automate commands and text snippets
- High learning curve for the format of voice commands
- You could spend more time dictating than typing
- It takes up a lot of disk space and uses considerable RAM
- Can't be tested for free
Dragon NaturallySpeaking system requirements
Before you download Dragon NaturallySpeaking, check if you meet these requirements:
- OS: Windows 10, 8, 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2
- RAM: at least 2 Gb of memory (preferably 4 Gb)
- CPU: minimum Intel dual-core CPU or equivalent AMD processor
- HDD: 8 Gb free disk space
- A web browser updated to the latest version
- A sound card compatible with Dragon NaturallySpeaking (16-bit recording support)
- A microphone compatible with the program
Dragon NaturallySpeaking editions
- Dragon Home: the most popular choice, ideal for voice commands in home and school projects.
- Dragon Professional Individual: for voice dictation at the office.
- Dragon Anywhere (iOS & Android): a cloud-based dictation solution for on-the-go busy users.
Unfortunately, the Nuance Dragon voice recognition tool can’t be tested for free. However, you can take advantage of a 30-day money-back guarantee, along with various volume licensing options.
How to install and configure Dragon NaturallySpeaking
Once you buy and download Dragon NaturallySpeaking, you can start its setup. The desktop installation procedure is straightforward and error-free, as long as you meet the system requirements.
What follows is the initial configuration related to speech (your region and accent), audio device, and microphone checkup (voice recorders are supported).
After passing this test, Dragon creates a personalized profile and offers to launch the interactive tutorial, which is mandatory if you want to get used to the application. We’re afraid there’s no room for improvisation. Not at the beginning, at least.
Master dictation habits to streamline tasks and improve efficiency
Dragon NaturallySpeaking is an exquisite productivity tool for the modern man. There’s no better way to train it than by sticking to a routine: more vocabulary words mean quicker transcription and less room for errors. But the biggest challenge remains to get accustomed to it. Learning the proper commands almost feels like studying a new language, especially when you plan to become fluent.
For instance, you have to get used to speaking out punctuation marks, keyboard commands, and special voice controls personalized for each environment – things you normally type without a blink, like “comma,” “new paragraph,” or “hyphen.”
Otherwise, if you get tangled in Dragon NaturallySpeaking, you would have to make corrections all the time by pulling up the program’s spelling mode. At the end of the day, it’s just faster to type text on your own instead of training the AI machine if you can’t master dictation.
On the bright side, once you start speaking Dragon’s language proficiently, consider the possibilities: jolt down your ideas while stuck in a traffic jam, spend more time dictating and less time staring at your computer screen, or continue working on your novel even if with a hand injury. Options are limitless.
FAQ: Learn more about Dragon NaturallySpeaking
- How to speed up word recognition in Dragon NaturallySpeaking?
Go to Tools > Options > Miscellaneous > Tab and adjust the Speed vs Accuracy slider.
- Can I install Dragon NaturallySpeaking on two computers?
Yes, you can install Dragon NaturallySpeaking on 2 computers but only as backup. You can’t share your license with someone else.
- Is Dragon NaturallySpeaking worth it?
Dragon NaturallySpeaking has outstanding reviews, especially when using the business editions. However, the program isn’t perfect so you should expect the occasional mistakes. It’s a continuous learning process, so make sure to take the time to get Nuance Dragon accustomed to your voice. It’s worth it.