Fix Gmail Something Went Wrong Error & Sign into Your Account
The error basically indicates a problem with the sign-in process
- The Gmail Something went wrong message could be caused by a faulty Chrome installation.
- An immediate alternative is switching to another search engine, and we have a great option.
- Of course, there are ways to solve the issue in no time, such as managing your browsing data.
- Getting an alert that says Something went wrong with your Google account might also be the result of an unstable Internet connection.
Many users owning a Gmail account encountered a frustrating issue, the Something went wrong error message, where they weren’t granted access to their email inbox.
Gmail tends to generate this error message and it often pops up blocking the sign-in process, and it can happen because your Gmail account settings are outdated.
Although many reported being sure that they used the correct password, the unexpected error message left them hopeless.
We managed to come up with a few solutions that we found to fix this specific issue. But, let’s first understand why you encounter the Something went wrong error on Gmail.
Why does Gmail keep saying something went wrong?
The error basically indicates a problem with the sign-in process, which could be both at your end or at Google’s. If you see the Something went wrong error message across devices, it’s likely that Google’s servers are facing an outage and you should wait for a while.
But, if the problem is limited to a particular device, it could be misconfigured settings, corrupt browsing data, or problems with the DNS server. Besides, problems with the Internet connection too have been found responsible for this error.
Some other similar error messages you may come across are:
- Something went wrong. Try again later in Gmail
- Google verification Something went wrong
- Something went wrong and you need to sign in again (Gmail error)
And, the solutions listed below would work in these cases as well.
How do I fix the Something went wrong Gmail error?
1. Try a different browser
Opera is already known as one of the greatest browsers out there, mainly thanks to its incorporated proxy VPN and ad-blocker that ensure that you have a safe environment when using Gmail.
This search engine is developed on a lightweight technology but at the same time, it offers a multitude of functions, such as Facebook and Instagram integration.
That way, you can check your emails but not leave the main screen while also chatting on WhatsApp and other social apps.
Moreover, the add-ons available in Opera can help you handle your emails conveniently, such as getting notifications, composing messages, and seeing Gmail in the toolbar in extensions.
Opera has great speed and sync capabilities for you to attach files, import data and manage all your devices where you have the Gmail app installed.
The best thing about this search engine is that you can use it anytime your default browser generates problems, and it’s a great alternative when you get the Something went wrong alert on your Google account.
OperaManage emails easily, and stay safe with the ad-blocker and VPN for uninterrupted daily tasks.
2. Use an email client
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Alternatively, you can also switch to an email client. In this case, you might be wondering which are the best email apps for Windows?
When using your browser to read your emails, keep in mind that the webpage is quite complex. In short, an email app attempts to replicate the functionality of desktop software while adding some more structured functions.
This usually means that users face various errors, one of them being the Google sign-in issue that reads Something went wrong.
An email app that increases productivity is a different utility than your browser and can be much more reliable and powerful. Those who are worried about productivity will appreciate a clean and effective application that integrates organized features.
Fortunately, email clients that increase productivity are available to help you learn the secrets of email service while saving significant time each day.
For instance, you can easily add multiple email addresses from various providers and have them unified in one place as well as integrate other services such as Google Calendar, Facebook, Twitter, and more.
One other benefit: it’s highly likely that your browser consumes a lot of CPU and RAM. Moving your email tabs outside the browser will help with that.
3. Reinstall Chrome
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run command, enter appwiz.cpl in the text field, and click OK.
- Select Google Chrome from the programs listed here, and then click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Once done, go to the official Chrome website, download it, and then install the browser all over again.
Instead of manually uninstalling Google Chrome, you could also use an effective uninstaller software that helps not just remove the program, but also the associated files. These have proven much more effective when it comes to the Something went wrong error on Gmail.
4. Clear browsing data
- Launch Google Chrome, and press Ctrl + Shift + Del to open the Clear browsing data box.
- Make sure to select All time as the Time range.
- Tick all the three checkboxes here, and then click Clear data.
This simple process is sometimes a quick fix for Gmail errors oops Something went wrong alert.
In case you’re experiencing a specific issue with Google Photos errors, rest assured that you can resolve it by following a few steps.
5. Check Internet connection
- Perform a speed test on your Internet connection.
- Check to see if other websites load properly.
- Hard reset your modem/router.
- Use a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi.
- Contact your Internet provider if you notice abnormal Internet activity.
How do I fix the Gmail error on iPhone?
The Gmail Something went wrong error on iPhone, though not that common, is still encountered by some users, but it’s easy to resolve. In most cases, simply restarting the iPhone should do the trick. If that doesn’t work, verify that IMAP is enabled on Gmail.
Also, you could try signing out and then back into Gmail, since it has fixed the issue for a lot of users. If nothing else works, the problem lies with the app and updating or reinstalling it would help resolve the error.
We hope that at least one of these solutions helped you to fix this Gmail error message, and we have solutions even if your Gmail is not loading properly.
If you liked this article, leave us a comment in the section below.