- Did you know that the world sends and receives 245 billion emails every day?
- Gmail is one of the most popular email services in the world but sometimes even this giant platforms fails to work as intended.
- If Gmails returns an error message informing you that something went wrong when you tried to access your inbox, use this guide to fix it.
- Bookmark our hub dedicated to browsers for additional guides on how to enjoy the best possible email and browsing experience on PC.
Many users owning Gmail accounts encountered a frustrating issue where they weren’t granted access to their email addresses.
The error message Something went wrong there, try again often pops up blocking the sign-in process.
Although many reported being sure that they used the correct password, the unexpected error message left them hopeless.
We managed to come up with a few solutions that we found to fix this specific issue.
Steps to fix Gmail error Something went wrong. Try again later
1. Reinstall Chrome
Manually uninstall Chrome following these steps:
- Find and delete the browser folder usually located in
C:\Program Files (x86)\GoogleChrome
- Delete the Chrome data folder as well. By default the path should be
- Download and install Google Chrome back using the official download link.
2. Clear browsing data
- Click the Three dots icon on the top right corner of Google Chrome
- Select More tools > click Clear browsing data
- Make sure to select All time as the time range
- Click Clear data
3. Check internet connection
- Perform a speed test on your internet connection
- Check to see if other websites load properly
- Hard reset your modem/router
- Make sure to use a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi
- Contact your internet provider if you notice abnormal internet activity
4. Use a different browser
If Google Chrome still can’t load your Gmail inbox, try using a different browser.
You should already have Microsoft Edge pre-installed on your computer. However, for a faster and safer browsing experience, we recommend installing UR Browser.
5. Use a different email client
Alternatively, you can also switch to a different email client. For more information on the best email clients for Windows 10, check out this in-depth guide.
We hope that at least one of these solutions helped you to fix your Gmail issue. If you liked this article, leave us a comment in the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Gmail
- Why does my Gmail keep saying oops something went wrong?
Gmail displays ‘Something went wrong’ errors when the email server is temporarily unavailable. Such technical glitches on Gmail’s side don’t usually last long and you should be able to sign in to your account in a few minutes.
- Is there a problem with Gmail?
If you can’t access your Gmail account, the first thing you should do is check your Internet connection. If your connection is up and running, maybe Gmail is down. To check if there is a Gmail outage or other known issues, check the G Suite Status Dashboard.
- Why can’t I open my Gmail emails?
If you can access your Gmail inbox but you cannot open your emails, most likely this indicates the problem is on your end. In this case, try disabling your browser extensions, delete your cache and try viewing the email in Incognito Mode.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2019 and has since been updated for freshness and accuracy.