- Are your account settings out of date? Be sure that we're here to help you in that regard.
- The main reason for an out-of-date account is a wrong password. You can solve this issue now.
- Since this is the email service that you most likely use daily, don't hesitate to find all about Gmail.
- There is plenty of information for you in our Web & Cloud Services Hub too, so take a closer look.
All of a sudden an error message popped up on your screen? Are your Gmail account settings not being up to date and you just don’t know how to fix this?
Have no worries as we have found several reasons and solutions for this issue and we will share them with you in this article.
What can I do if my Gmail settings are out of date?
1. Use a different mail client
Before investing time trying to figure out what is wrong with Gmail, maybe you should consider replacing it altogether.
For example, Mailbird is an excellent alternative to any email client, not just Gmail. It has all of the tools you may ever need, but with a level of customization that makes it a joy to use.
Bring all of your email accounts into one window and better manage the emails that you receive and send with just a few clicks of the mouse.
MailbirdWindows Report recommends Mailbird – winner of Most popular Mail alternative of 2020!
2. Use a different browser
If the issue persists, you may also try to connect to your Gmail account from a different browser.
Since this issue may occur due to certificate error problems, we recommend using a privacy and security-focused browser such as Opera.
This browser is also very fast and you should be able to log in to your Gmail account in no time. Opera uses the least amount of PC memory so it can save precious time, allowing you to attend to more important matters.
Even if you’re opening media-rich sites that consume a lot of resources, Opera stays on top of the performance ladder. It’s free so you can download it and convince yourself.
OperaEnjoy the most advanced security and privacy features and manage your e-mail accounts – including Google – quickly and easily.
3. Password is incorrect
The main reason for an out-of-date account is usually a wrong password. You can hit Fix Account on the top side of the Mail app.
If your password is not the correct one, the application will ask you to change it. After you do that, the error message will stop appearing.
4. Security certificate error
- Go to Settings, then Manage Accounts
- For the Gmail account choose Change mailbox sync settings, then Advanced mailbox settings
- Tick the two boxes with Require SSL for incoming/outgoing email, then press Done and Save
5. Permission expired
When you log in to your Gmail account, you give the email permission to run for a limited amount of time. Once in a while that permission expires, so may need to log in again.
After you do so, you will basically grant the platform permission again and the error should disappear.
5. Turn on Less secure apps
Sometimes, your Google account detects your email app as being less secure for some reason. In order to solve this, simply access your Google Account and turn on the option Allow less secure apps.
Be careful though, using this method can lead to potentially dangerous apps getting installed on your computer.
6. Check system time
- Go to Control Panel > Clock > Language and Region > Date and Time > Internet time.
- Under that tab, press the Change settings button.
- Un-tick the box with Synchronize with an Internet Time Server.
- Proceed to set your computer’s time manually.
7. Fix corrupted system files
Sometimes, the reason for the pop up is just faulty system files that you need to fix. In order to find out more about fixing system files in Windows 10, you can read our excellent guide.
After following all these steps, the notification should stop popping-up and you should be able to use your e-mail app without any further issues. Also, check if Google services are down.
If we missed any workarounds, please let us know in the comments section below. We will make sure to include your solutions in this guide.
FAQ: Read more about Gmail errors
- What does it mean your account settings are out of date?
Usually, that means that you have typed a wrong password. You should fix your account and then check out our list with the best password managers for Windows 10.
- How do I disable the message that my Gmail account settings are out of date?
The easiest way to get rid of the message is to fix your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do that, we’ve got a perfect guide for you.
- Your account settings are out of date in mail or calendar for windows 10?
If your account settings are out of date, you should update your data and fix your account. Here’s an expert guide on how to fix that problem in Outlook.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in May 2019 and was revamped and updated in December 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.