Pretty much everyone nowadays has a Smart TV in the house, and if they don’t trends dictate that they will soon enough.
These devices revolutionize the way we stream multimedia content into our home.
However, unlike the good old-fashioned tube that only needs a cable to work, a Smart TV isn’t all that smart anymore if it doesn’t have an Internet connection.
Such would be the case with some Sony Smart TVs, as users are complaining that they have problems connecting to the Internet.
If you have issues connecting your Sony Smart TV to the Internet, follow this step-by-step guide to find a solution to your problem.
What can I do if my Sony Smart TV won’t connect to the Internet?
1. In case you are using a wired connection
- Using the original Sony remote, press the HOME button
- Go to Settings
- Select Network
- Go to Network Setup
This is where you should verify the following on the View Network Status screen:
- Your physical Connection should be OK
- This means an Ethernet cable is detected from the TV to the router or modem.
- Local Access should be OK
- This means that the TV sees the router
- Internet Access should be OK
- This indicates that the TV is connecting to the Bravia Internet Video (BIV) server.
If any of the settings are shown as Failed, check for some of the following:
- Check the Ethernet cable to see if it is secured
- If needed, change the LAN ports or the cable altogether
- Check whether the cable is actually giving off the signal by testing it on another device (e.g. a PC)
- Make sure the TV is obtaining an IP address
- If the IP Address flashes or starts with 169, then the IP address needs to be changed, and you need to perform a manual IP assignment.
2. In case you are using a wireless connection
- Press the HOME button on the remote
- Go to Settings
- Go to Network
- Select Network setup
- Choose Set up network connection or Wireless Setup
- Choose the desired connection method
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup
If all else fails, you could also try resetting your network equipment.
This involves resetting the cable modem and router, by turning them off and unplugging them for 1 minute.
You could also try turning the TV off and unplugging it from the wall for 1 minute.
If you also have a Sony Smart TV and are experiencing network connectivity issues, please let us know in the comments section below.
RELATED ARTICLES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT: