- Many players have reported getting the message Sorry, failed to connect to multiplayer services in AoE2. This mainly occurs if the server certificate authentication fails.
- As it's an online game, there is a good chance multiplayer services can malfunction due to an unstable internet connection.
- One of our recommendations includes verifying the integrity of game files on Steam. Do not hesitate to apply the steps detailed below.
Age of Empires 2 is a real-time strategy video game set in the middle ages with playable civilizations.
All the players get the resources to build towns and create different enemies. There are five historically-based campaigns and three additional single-player modes and multiplayer support.
But recently, many users have complained about Sorry, failed to connect to multiplayer services in AoE2. Errors like these mainly occur if the server certificate authentication fails.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
If you are also among the people facing this error, keep reading this post to learn how you can fix it.
How do you enable multiplayer in Age of Empires 2?
It’s very easy to enable the multiplayer mode in Age of Empires 2. Follow the steps mentioned below to do so:
- Open Age of Empires 2 and click on Multiplayer icon on the left of the home screen.
- Select Host game to create your own match with the options available.
- Click on Create lobby to finish the process.
- You can now set additional settings for your match while you wait for other players to join.
- Once all the players have joined the game and all slots are filled click on Start game to begin the match.
What can you do if you can’t connect to online multiplayer services in AoE2?
1. Verify the integrity of game files
- Open Steam and click on Library.
- Right-click on Age of Empires 2 from the list.
- Click on Properties and then on Local Files.
- Then click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- Restart Steam and check if it fixes the failed to connect to multiplayer services AoE2 error.
Several users complain about the fact that they are unable to verify the integrity of game files on Steam. Rest assured that our guide shows you what to do in case that happens.
2. Check your Internet connection
As Age of Empires 2 is an online multiplayer, it needs a stable Internet connection to run efficiently. Check your Internet connection by performing a speed test.
Try switching to mobile data if using a Wi-Fi connection and check if the game runs on your device. Also, disable VPN if you’re using one.
3. Flush DNS Cache
- Click on Start, search for Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
- Type the following commands one by one and hit Enter:
- Restart your device once done and check if the unable to connect to online services platform token authentication failed error is fixed.
4. Check Network Card settings
- Open the Control Panel and click on Network and Internet.
- Navigate to Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change Adapter Settings, then right-click on the adapter connected to the Internet, and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4) and click OK to save the changes.
Well, that’s all on how to fix sorry failed to connect to multiplayer services AoE2 error on your device. We hope the methods mentioned above were able to help you.
If this guide was helpful, do let us know in the comments below.