FULL FIX: There is a problem with this website’s security certificate
The Internet is an irreplaceable part of our daily lives, but unfortunately, a number of Windows 10 users reported issues while accessing certain websites.
According to them, they are receiving There is a problem with this website‘s security certificate message in their browser, so let’s see how to fix that problem.
Before we start, we have to mention that this issue can affect almost any browser, so even if you change the browser, you’ll still experience this issue.
Some users reported this issue while trying to access specific websites, such as Facebook for example, while others report this issue on almost every website.
This can be a troublesome issue, but fortunately, there is a fix available.
Fix There is a problem with this website’s security certificate
Many users reported that they are unable to access their favorite websites due to There is a problem with this website’s security certificate error. Speaking of this issue, these are some of the most common problems that users reported:
- There is a problem with this website‘s security certificate no option to continue, bypass, every website, error code 8 – There is a wide range of problems that can occur with website’s security certificate. However, you should be able to fix most of these issues by using one of our solutions.
- There is a problem with this website‘s security certificate IE11, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Google Chrome – This issue can affect almost any web browser, and if this happens, try resetting your browser to the default settings and clearing the cache.
- There is a problem with this website‘s security certificate Windows Update – Many users reported this error after installing a new Windows Update. Sometimes updates can cause certain issues, and in order to fix the problem, you need to remove and block the problematic update.
- There is a problem with this website‘s security certificate Kaspersky, Avast – Your antivirus is one of the most common causes for this problem, and in order to fix the problem it’s advised to adjust your antivirus settings. If that doesn’t work, you might have to switch to a different antivirus solution.
Solution 1 – Check your computer time and date
One of the most common causes for There is a problem with this website‘s security certificate error message is incorrect system clock.
Sometimes your time and date can change without you noticing, and this can cause There is a problem with this website‘s security certificate message to appear while trying to access certain websites.
In order to fix this issue, you need to do the following:
- Click the clock icon in the bottom right corner and select Adjust date/time.
- Check your time and date. If for some reason your time and date aren’t correct, you need to Turn off Set time automatically option and then click the Change button.
- Set your time and date and click on Change.
- After you’ve done that, check if the problem is resolved. If the issue is fixed, turn on Set time automatically option.
Solution 2 – Install certificates
If you’re using Internet Explorer, you can install the missing certificates by following these steps:
- Once the error message appears, click on Continue to this website (not recommended). You should see red Address Bar along with certificate warning.
- Click the Certificate Error button in order to open the information window.
- Click View Certificates, then click on Install Certificate and follow the instructions.
- If a warning message appears, click Yes.
We should warn you that you should only install certificates from the websites you trust. If you suspect that the website you’re trying to access is malicious, do not install its certificate.
In addition, it’s always wise to check the certificate of a website you’re trying to access. To do that, follow these steps:
- Click the lock icon next to a website’s name and choose View certificates.
- Certificate information window will open. Check if Issued to field matches the website you’re trying to visit. In addition, check Issued by section in order to confirm that the certificate was signed by an actual security company.
If you want to access the issued websites and keep your PC safe and secured, we recommend using a reliable VPN with enhanced security.
Get now Cyberghost VPN to protect your PC from attacks while browsing, masks your IP address and blocks all unwanted access.
Solution 3 – Turn off warn about certificate address mismatch option
Sometimes you might get The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website’s address error message, and in order to fix that, you need to turn off certificate address mismatch option by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter Internet Options. Select Internet Options from the menu.
- Navigate to Advanced tab. Scroll down to Security section, locate Warn about certificate address mismatch option and uncheck it.
- Click Apply and OK and restart your computer.
Solution 4 – Check your antivirus
If you’re getting There is a problem with this website’s security certificate message on your PC, the cause might be your antivirus.
Antivirus tools can sometimes interfere with your web browser and cause this and other errors to appear.
However, you can fix the problem in most cases simply by changing your antivirus settings. Sometimes a single setting can interfere with your browser and cause this problem.
If this doesn’t work, you might be able to fix the issue simply by disabling your antivirus temporarily.
In case that doesn’t work, you might have to remove your antivirus. After you uninstall your antivirus, check if the issue is still present. If not, you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
Solution 5 – Disable TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2
According to users, sometimes your settings can cause There is a problem with this website’s security certificate message to appear. If you encountered this problem, the issue might be related to TLS feature.
In order to fix the problem, some users are recommending to turn this feature off. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Internet Options and navigate to the Advanced tab. To see how to do that, check Solution 3 for detailed instructions.
- Locate Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1, and Use TLS 1.2 features and uncheck them. Now click on Apply and OK to save changes.
After doing that, restart your browser and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 6 – Change Trusted Sites settings
According to users, in order to fix There is a problem with this website’s security certificate error, you need to change Trusted Sites settings on your PC.
This is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Internet Options and go to the Security tab. Now Select Trusted sites and click the Sites button.
- In the input field enter about:internet and click on Add. Now click the Close button.
- Save changes and check if the problem is resolved.
This is a simple solution, and several users reported that it works, so feel free to try it out.
Solution 7 – Remove the problematic update
If you’re getting There is a problem with this website’s security certificate error message, the problem might be a recent Windows update.
If you noticed that this issue started appearing after an update, you need to find and remove that update from your PC. This is relatively simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Update & Security section.
- Now click on View installed update history.
- List of recent updates will appear. Memorize or write down a couple of recent updates. Now click on Uninstall updates.
- Find the recent update on the list and double click it to remove it.
Once you remove the update, check if the problem is resolved. If the issue doesn’t appear again, it means that the update caused it.
Keep in mind that Windows 10 tends to install the missing updates without your knowledge.
To prevent this problem from reoccurring, it’s advised to prevent Windows to from automatically installing updates.
Once the update is blocked from installing, the issue won’t appear anymore.
Solution 8 – Change server revocation options
Sometimes your Internet settings can cause There is a problem with this website’s security certificate message to appear. To fix the problem, it’s suggested to change your server revocation options.
This is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Internet Options window.
- Now go to Advanced tab and in Security section disable Check for publisher’s certification revocation and Check for server certificate revocation. Now click on Apply and OK to save changes.
After making these changes, restart your PC and check if that resolves the problem.
Solution 9 – Reset your browser to default
There is a problem with this website’s security certificate message can appear in any browser, and it might be caused by browser’s settings. To fix the problem, be sure to reset your browser to default.
By doing that you’ll remove the cache, installed extensions and revert your settings to default.
Resetting process is more or less the same in all browsers, so be sure to reset all browsers that you use on your PC. After resetting your browser, the issue should be resolved.
Certificates are rather important because they are used to encrypt your data and protect it from malicious users.
If you are getting There is a problem with this website‘s security certificate error message on while surfing the web, make sure to try one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: “There is a problem connecting securely to this website” invalid certificate error
- How to install Windows 10 root certificates
- Fix: Microsoft Edge Certificate error navigation blocked
- FIX: Windows 10 VPN error 789 connection failed due to security issues
- Fix: Microsoft Edge runs slow in Windows 10