Spotify is one of the most popular music streaming application, but several users reported Spotify error code 18 while using it. This error can freeze or slow down your PC, which can be a major problem, so today we’re going to show you how to fix it once and for all.
What is Spotify Error Code 18?
The installer is unable to install Spotify error code 18 or The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use by another process. Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry.
These two are the main errors that users claimed they usually receive when trying to install Spotify or running the program. If you are also facing this problem before or right now, this article is perfect for you. We’ll explain you why this happens and also we’ll help you to fix this Spotify Error Code 18.
Why does Spotify Error Code 18 appear?
The causes behind this error are not too many. However, they need to be exposed.
- Installation file corrupted or failed.
- Malware also can harm Spotify from running properly.
- Windows registry corrupted when you’re trying to install or uninstall the application Spotify.
- Faulty drivers in the system.
- Some of the antivirus programs.
How can I fix Spotify error code 18?
- Delete the Spotify folder from AppData directory
- Delete every file related to Spotify
- Scan your computer for malware with an antivirus
- Uninstall any programs that can interfere with Spotify
1. Delete the Spotify folder from AppData directory
- First, to open a Run dialog, enter Windows Key + R.
- Write the text %appdata% -> Hit Enter.
- Find the Spotify folder in the App Data Directory -> right-click on it -> choose Delete.
- A pop-up will appear. Press on Yes to confirm and wait for Spotify to delete.
- You’ll have to Restart your computer for the process to be complete.
- After this, try to install Spotify again. That’s how you’ll see if you receive the error message again.
2. Delete every file related to Spotify
- Enter Windows Key + E to open the File Explorer.
- Enter CTRL + F to open the Search box. Enter Spotify and press Enter.
- Enter CTRL + A to select all the files from the folder -> Right-click on it -> Choose Delete.
- A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm the action, so press on Yes.
- Now Restart your computer to complete the deleting process.
- After this, try to install Spotify again an see it the error message will appear.
You can also remove all Spotify files and registry by using uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller. Once you remove all files with this tool, install Spotify again and check if the issue is still there.
- Get Revo Uninstaller Pro version
3. Scan your computer for malware with an antivirus
In order to find out if Spotify error code 18 is caused by malware, you’ll have to use some third-party antivirus.
You can use any antivirus that you have installed on your computer, launch it and then you’ll have to choose between Quick scan or Full Scan. You better choose the second option to ensure that your antivirus will thoroughly scan your computer.
If you’re looking for reliable antivirus software that can detect almost any threat, be sure to try out Bitdefender.
4. Uninstall any programs that can interfere with Spotify
So, if you know that you have these two programs installed on your computer, you can uninstall them. If you suspect that other programs that can also interfere with Spotify, you’ll have to uninstall them too.
- Open Start Menu -> find Add or remove programs -> click on it after you find it.
- Look for iTunes, Comodo or any other program that you know that it can interfere with Spotify -> right-Click on it -> press Uninstall.
- After the programs selected have been uninstalled, restart your computer.
- Now you’ll have to install Spotify again to see if the error code 18 will appear again or not.
- After this, if the Spotify app is installed with no problem, you can reinstall the other programs that you have just uninstalled.
We hope these solutions helped you fix the Spotify error code 18 on your PC. If these solutions worked, let us know in the comment section below.