- Purchasing a new game or credit on Steam can result in an error if you try using PayPal as a payment option.
- We first recommend using Steam on your browser for the PayPal purchase.
- In some cases, unlinking the PayPal account from the Steam client managed to solve this issue.
- To fix the PayPal purchase error, you can try clearing your Steam browser cache and cookies.
Users of the Steam PC gaming client on Windows 10 may face some issues when trying to purchase games through PayPal. This issue is generally caused by the cache on your Steam client.
Selecting PayPal as a payment method for your game or DLC will result in the following error message:
Your purchase has not been completed. The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method.
This problem will not only stop you from accessing new games on the platform but will also prevent you from being able to download any paid DLCs for games and other important content.
What are the reasons for this problem occurring?
Even though the possible reasons are very limited when it comes to this issue, some common elements need to be considered:
- Paypal server issues
- Conflict between your Steam app and the Paypal platform
- Issues with your Paypal account
- Not having enough funds on the Paypal account
These are some of the most common situations in which you won’t be able to use Paypal to make any purchases on the Steam platform, but below we discuss the best modalities to deal with this issue once and for all, so make sure to check them out.
How can I fix the Steam PayPal purchase error?
1. Use Steam on your browser for the PayPal purchase
- Close your Steam client by right-clicking on the app’s icon from your Windows Taskbar, then click on Close window.
- Now, head over to Steam’s Store website.
- From the upper-right corner of the window, click on login.
- Enter you Steam credentials, then click on Sign In.
- Search for your item, then add it to the shopping cart.
- Head over to the payment method.
- Select Paypal, and click on Continue.
- Log in through the PayPal website and authorize the payment
- Your payment should now go through
- Open up your Steam client again to download your purchased game or DLC.
2. Unlink the PayPal account from your Steam client
- Head over to the Steam’s Store website.
- Look at the top-right corner, click on your account name, then choose Account Details.
- Take a look under Store & Purchase History section.
- There, you can unlink your PayPal account by clicking on the Delete button
- Head over to the Steam Store.
- Purchase your item again.
- Make sure that Save my payment preference is not checked.
- Your purchase should now complete successfully.
3. Clear your Steam browser cache and cookies
- Press on the Windows key, type Steam, then open the desktop client app.
- If you don’t have it, make sure you navigate to the Steam Store Website, and from the upper-top corner of the window, click on Install Steam.
- After opening Steam, look at the top-left corner of the window, and select Steam.
- Now, navigate to Settings.
- From the left side of the window, select Web Browser.
- Click on Delete Web Browser Cache.
- Now, click on OK to confirm the process.
- Once it’s done, click on Delete All Browser Cookies.
- Confirm again the process by clicking on OK.
- Retry your Steam purchase with PayPal.
4. Steam’s servers might be down
Sometimes the payment might not work due to Steam’s servers not working temporarily. You can easily check it by accessing the Steam Server Current Status page.
If some servers are indeed down, you would need to wait until the issue is fixed.
Once you check again and the servers are back to normal, just head over to the Steam Store again to make your purchase through PayPal.
These are the best methods to fix the Steam PayPal purchase error. Make sure you follow them carefully and you won’t have to worry again about this annoying problem.
If you encounter any additional questions or curiosities related to today’s subject, feel free to describe them in the comment section listed below.