- Steam is the best-known game distribution platform for Windows games, available around the world to millions of users.
- If your purchases are showing up as pending transactions, you can easily cancel them and try again, or try one of the other solutions listed in this guide.
- Whilst Valve is quick to patch most errors on Steam, some slip through the cracks. If you're experiencing issues with Steam, then head over to our Steam Guides page for a quick fix.
- For gaming issues and fixes for other launchers, you should keep tabs on the Gaming Section where we frequently write about the latest games and issues.
Steam is the foremost web distribution platform for Windows games. However, some users have posted on the Steam forum about a You have another pending transaction on your account error. Steam displays that error message for some users when they try to make a purchase. Users can’t complete transactions for games when that issue arises.
How can I fix the Pending Transaction Error?
1. Is Steam Down?
The pending transaction error might be due to a Steam server outage. Ok, that’s not a common scenario; but it might still be worth checking if Steam is down. To do that, open the Downdetector website; and select a country in the drop-down menu. Enter ‘Steam’ in the search box on that site to open the page directly below, which provides further details pertaining to Steam server outages.
- Many users have fixed the pending transaction Steam error by cancelling other pending transactions. Users can do that by opening the Steam software and clicking their user account names.
- Click the Account Details option.
- Then click the View purchase history option to open a list of Steam transactions.
- If there are multiple pending purchases, select one of the pending purchases.
- Then select the Cancel this transaction option.
- Click the Cancel my purchase option.
Alternatively, try purchasing games via the Steam website instead of its client software. Open Steam in a web browser. Then click login on the website, and try getting the game from there.
4. Disable VPN and IP Proxy Software
- Steam transaction errors can also be due to VPN and IP proxy software. Users can close, or disable, VPN and IP proxy software by right-clicking Windows 10’s taskbar and selecting Task Manager.
- Select VPN or IP proxy software on the Processes tab.
- Click the End task button.
- Select the Start-up tab shown directly below.
- Then select VPN or IP proxy software included on the Start-up tab.
- Click the Disable button to remove the VPN or IP proxy from the system startup.
Those are a few potential fixes for Steam’s pending transaction error. Users can also set up a Steam support account to send a support ticket if further resolutions are needed.
FAQ: Steam pending transactions
- How do you fix a pending transaction on Steam?
- How long do pending transactions take Steam?
According to the Steam support page, this can take up to 10 days, depending on your bank’s policy.
- How do I cancel a pending transaction on Steam?
Follow the instructions listed at step 2 of our guide in order to cancel a pending Steam transaction.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.