- Surface Duo will receive system updates on a monthly basis, in order to eliminate system bugs.
- The May 2021 update features Google security updates for Android, and OS fixes that were due.
- Book mode alert bugs, as well as the issue with TalkBack screen bug, will be fixed with this patch.
- This article will show you exactly how you can download and install the update for your Surface Duo.
After previously reassuring users that the Surface Duo will also receive system updates on a monthly basis, in order to keep everything working as it should, Microsoft delivers the May update.
This patch features an assortment of the monthly Google security updates for Android, and the expected OS fixes and optimizations for Surface Duo.
Important fixes and improvements with the May update
According to Microsoft, through this update, the build number goes from 2021.314.91 to 2021.419.70 (for US), and to 2021.419.72 (for EU).
Also coming via this patch are a set of important fixes and improvements that tackle some of the know issues.
- Addresses scenarios outlined in the Android Security Bulletin – May 2021.
- Improves device stability and UI stability.
- Improves scenario when one screen would turn black while using Surface Duo in book mode.
- Fixes scenario when a “Double-tap to switch screens” message was appearing when in book mode.
- Fixes the scenario when using the TalkBack with 3-button navigation where the list of recent apps was showing on the left screen when invoked from the right screen.
Note that the May update is considerably smaller than the one from the previous month, scaled down from 338 MB to just 197 MB.
How can I download and apply this update?
Performing this action will prove to be even more easier than some might have expected, and also pretty straight forward, as in the case of PCs.
All you have to do is:
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Select Settings on your Surface Duo’s home screen.
- Select System.
- Select System Update.
- Select Check for update.
- Select Restart now.
Are you one of the proud users of the Microsoft Surface Duo device? If so, tell us all about your experience in the comments section below.