If you are using a Postscript printer, when printing documents you may encounter printer syntax error offending command error. The full error reads: ERROR: syntaxerror OFFENDING COMMAND: –nostringval– STACK: mark
This error can occur while printing from a photo viewer or editing software as well as word processors like Microsoft Wordpad.
If you are also troubled by this error, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the Printer syntax error offending command in Windows 10.
How to fix syntax error offending command on printers
1. Convert the file to PDF
- Open the document in MS Word.
- Click on File and select Save as.
- Click the drop-down menu for Save as and select PDF from the options.
- Enter a name and save the file.
- Open the PDF file in a PDF viewer and try to print the file. The printer should print the file successfully.
Several users have reported that converting the word document to a PDF file as helped them resolve the issue. While this is just a workaround, it should help you to take a printout when required.
2. Remove and re-add the printer
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Go to Devices.
- Select Printers and Scanners.
- Scroll down to your installed printer list.
- Select your printer and click on Remove device.
- Click Yes to confirm the action.
2.1 Uninstall the software
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK.
- In the Control Panel window, go to Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select your printer app from the list of installer apps.
- Click on Uninstall. Click Yes if prompted by the UAC.
- Follow on-screen instructions to remove the software.
2.2. Add the printer
- Download the latest version of your printer‘s software. You can download it from the manufacturer’s website.
- Install the printer software.
- Next, click on Start > Settings and select Device.
- Click on Printers and scanners.
- Click on Add a printer or scanner.
- Follow on-screen instructions to install the printer.
- Now try to print using the newly added printer and check for any improvements.
3. Use HP universal print drivers
- Press the Windows key and search for control.
- Click and open Control Panel.
- Go to Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
- Select your printer from the list and click on Print server properties.
- In the Print Server Properties window, select the printer driver.
- Click the Remove button. Click Yes to confirm the action.
- Close the Properties window and the Control Panel.
3.1 Download HP Universal Print Drivers
- Go to HP software and driver download page.
- Download and install the latest version of the HP Universal Print driver.
- Make sure you re-add the printer and check for any improvements.
- Refer to Method 2
The printer syntax error offending command is a common error that can occur due to various reasons. In this article, we have listed a workaround as well as some quick fixes to help you resolve the issue.
If you’re aware of another fix or workaround for this printer error, let us know about it by leaving a message in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
PostScript errors occur when the interpreter cannot read the PostScript code or the PostScript code exceeds the limits in the page description language.
The offending command is an error message that indicates the command that caused a specific problem. You can use this information to look at the root-causes of the issue when trying to troubleshoot the problem.
Here’s how you can fix PostScript errors when printing: try printing the same document again, use a different computer, install the latest printer driver updates, run Windows 10’s built-in printer troubleshooter and reset the printer.