- Microsoft Teams collaboration features make it the best choice for both small and large companies.
- When you're out of office, the best approach is to update your status as to inform everyone that their messages won't reach you for a while
- However, some users reported that they can't update the status of your Microsoft Teams profile because it's stuck on Out of Office.
- To fix this, you can try adjusting Outlook settings, modifying your Settings.json file, and more.
Tired of seeing that Microsoft Teams status is stuck on Out of Office? Discussion forums are filled with users describing the same thing.
They’ve set one of those Out off Office meeting reminders in Microsoft Outlook just to later find that Teams is showing Out Of Office as well.
Others describe recently returning from vacation with more than amazing photos and memories. They’ve accessed Teams from their tablet. Now, when back at work, their Teams status is still stuck as Out of Office.
Is this happening to you too? Follow the below procedure and your effort will no go in vain.
What can I do if the Teams status is stuck on Out of Office?
1. Remove Outlook invites with Out of Office status
This seems to often happen when a new release of Teams is installed. If someone sends you a calendar invite with date ranges from today till future with Out of Office selected, or if you create future Out of Office appointments, then Teams is somehow changing the status as well.
The easiest fix is to check if there is any invitation mentioned as Out of Office. If you find such an invitation, then remove it from your calendar. Any difference now? If not, check out the next solutions.
2. Turn off Don’t send automatic replies
- Go to Outlook Web App.
- Click the gear button.
- Choose Mail> Automatic processing> Automatic replies.
- Now, tick the option that says Don’t send automatic replies.
- If the issue persists, then remove it and check if it works.
If you have no Out of Office events in your calendar, you could try to apply the above procedure instead.
3. Change your Status Message in Teams
- Go to your profile at the top of Teams.
- Click Set status message.
- Then, type the message that you want to show to other people in the box.
- Click Done and you’re all set. Teams will refresh.
- You may now delete the message.
This overwrites the Out of Office reply that is pulling from Outlook, but only in Teams. This WILL NOT overwrite what is in Outlook.
Moreover, when you change your Status Message in Teams it will sync immediately.
4. Move or Delete Settings.json file
- Exit Teams.
- Navigate to the location:
- Look for the file Settings.json and move it to another location.
- You may also delete it (before deleting, firstly back it up).
- Next, sign in Teams to see if the issue is solved.
Note: The file mentioned above records the general configuration for current user.
Other users also tried to uninstall Teams and closed all Office apps after reinstalling it or cleared its cache and were pleased by the results. Please note that these options are based on third party suggestions, rather than first hand experience.
Do you have further suggestions or questions? If so, welcome to post here. We are always here to further help you.
Frequently Asked Questions
One way to make sure your MS Teams status is updated is to make sure your Outlook status is updated as well. For more information on changing your MS Teams status, check out this detailed guide.
If you are looking to log into MS Teams, but appear offline so that you cannot be disturbed, check out this in-depth article for more info.
If you’re experiencing issues with your MS Teams client, such as crashes, check out this detailed guide for more info on how to fix it.