Intel partners with Microsoft for increased Thunderbolt 3 support on Windows
On Thunderbolt 3’s official page, you can read all there is to know about exploring Thunderbolt 3:
- AT 40 Gb/s, IT’S THE FASTEST PORT AVAILABLE ON A COMPUTER TODAY
- 8x faster than USB 3.0 and 4x more video bandwidth than HDMI
- Transfer a 4K movie in less than 30 seconds
- Back up a year’s worth of continuous MP3s in five minutes
- Plus, connect to any display, Thunderbolt, or USB device
Intel just revealed some interesting things about the Thunderbolt 3 I/O standard to push large-scale adoption of Thunderbolt, like its plans for future integration of Thunderbolt 3 into next-gen Intel CPUs. Intel is also releasing the Thunderbolt protocol specification next year.
Partnership with Microsoft and Apple
Intel is partnering with Apple, Microsoft and other companies to improve support for Thunderbolt 3 on the most popular OSs. With its latest released Windows 10 Creators Update, Microsoft enhanced Thunderbolt 3 device plug-and-play support. Intel is also currently working with Microsoft to enhance the forthcoming experience in future Windows updates.
Integration plans and OEMs future builds
If Thunderbolt 3 is integrated into CPUs by Intel, OEMs will be able to build thinner and lighter systems with only Thunderbolt 3 ports. Such designs would require less board space and they’ll reduce power by removing the discrete component currently needed for systems with Thunderbolt 3.
What’s even greater is that the release of the Thunderbolt protocol specification is under a royalty-free, nonexclusive license will increase the use of Thunderbolt by supporting third-party chip makers to build chips that will be compatible with it.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- HP launches new USB-C docking accessory for Pro x2 and Elite x3
- HP unveils redesigned, slimmer ENVY Curved AIO 34
- The 17 best USB 3.0 external hard drives for your Windows 10 PC
Have you ever tried using MS Works on Windows 10? It might be harder than you think. Even though Works has been discontinued by Microsoft, […]
Users reported on Reddit that Windows 10 v1903 disabled Windows Defender real-time protection. This is often the case when you installed another antivirus solution on […]