- TTS not working in Discord can be due to disabled TTS settings or alternative non-Stereo speaker configurations.
- Re-enabling certain Discord settings might fix the TTS bot in Discord for some users.
- Updating certain software to the latest versions might also help Discord TTS issues for some users.
- Some users might need to change their speaker setup settings to fix Discord TTS not working.
The Discord Text-to-Speech (TTS) feature usually reads out text messages entered with /tts.
However, that feature doesn’t always work for some users. When that feature isn’t working, users can’t hear TTS audio for messages.
Does TTS work on the Discord mobile app?
Alas, the Text-to-Speech feature is not available for the Discord mobile app. So, you can’t select any Text-to-Speech options within the Android app.
That feature is, however, available in the Discord web app along with the desktop software.
How do I enable TTS on Discord?
- First, Open the Discord app and click the User Settings button.
- Click Text & Images.
- Then scroll to the Allow playback and usage of /tts command and toggle it on.
How can I fix Text-To-Speech on Discord?
1. Update sound device drivers
To fix any more general audio issue that might be impacting Discord’s Text-to-Speech feature, consider updating sound device drivers.
You can check if you need to update audio drivers with driver updater software.
Driver updater software will highlight outdated drivers and enable you to quickly update them.
Some of the most common Windows errors and bugs are a result of old or incompatible drivers. The lack of an up-to-date system can lead to lag, system errors or even BSoDs.To avoid these types of problems, you can use an automatic tool that will find, download, and install the right driver version on your Windows PC in just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The software will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer create any problems if you download and use this powerful software today.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Toggle the Text-to-Speech setting off/on
First, try resetting the Allow playback and usage of /tts command setting by turning it off and back on again.
You can access that Text-to-Speech setting as outlined within the guidelines for enabling TTS on Discord above.
Turn off that setting, restart Discord, and then toggle the TTS option back on.
3. Enable Text-to-Speech for all channels
- Click the User Settings button.
- Then click Notifications on the left sidebar.
- Scroll down to the Text-to-Speech notification options in the snapshot directly below.
- Select the For all channels notification option.
- Save the setting, and then restart Discord.
4. Change your speaker setup to stereo
- Right-click the Speakers icon on your system tray.
- Click Sounds to open the Sound window.
- Then select the Playback tab shown directly below.
- Select your default speakers.
- Press the Configure button to open the window in the screenshot directly below.
- Select the Stereo option on that window if an alternative one is selected.
- Press the Next button to go through other Speaker Setup settings.
- Thereafter, click the Finish to confirm.
5. Update Windows 10
- Launch Settings by pressing the Windows and I keyboard shortcut.
- Click Update & Security to open the Windows Update options.
- Click Check for updates to check if there are any available patch updates.
- Select to download and install any available patch updates.
- If there’s a feature update available, click the Download and install option to add the latest Windows 10 version to your PC.
6. Update Discord to the latest version
- Right-click Windows 10’s Start button and select Run to open the accessory shown directly below.
- To open the Local folder, input this command and click OK:
- Open the Discord subfolder in your Local folder
- Click the Update.exe file to get your Discord app updated.
An alternative way to update Discord is to uninstall the software entirely to ensure that it is completely fresh.
To make sure that all the traces of the software are removed, we recommend that you try using a specialized software removal app.
So, that’s how you can fix Discord’s Text-to-Speech feature when it doesn’t work as expected.
Note that Discord also has a help team you can submit support tickets to if further potential resolutions are still required.
You can send a support ticket at Discord’s Submit a request page.