- Discord won't update and that can be a problem since this is a very popular chat app for gamers.
- If the Discord installation failed check your antivirus as it may block your Discord app.
- You should also try to disable the firewall until you update the app.
- Reinstalling the app might be another winning idea to prevent this issue.
Discord is the best cross-platform chat app for gamers, but many users reported that Discord won’t update on Windows 10.
This can be an issue, and in today’s article, we’re going to show you how to fix this problem once and for all and how to update Discord on PC.
How can I update Discord the right way?
- Check your Antivirus
- Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Run Discord as Administrator
- Reinstall Discord on existing installation
- Rename the Update File
- Uninstall Discord and delete the local app data
1. Check your antivirus
Sometimes Discord won’t update because your antivirus is interfering with the update process. If you are using any antivirus software, disable the software temporarily or close/quit the app from the Taskbar.
If your antivirus is the issue, perhaps you should consider switching to different antivirus software. Bitdefender offers great protection, and it won’t interfere with your system in any way, so feel free to try it out.
BitdefenderBitdefender is a no.1 antivirus and it doesn’t interfere with your software, including Discord.
2. Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Type Firewall in the Cortana/Search and open Firewall and Network Protection option.
- Click on the Network connection that has Active next to it.
- Under Windows Defender Firewall, click on the toggle switch to disable Firewall.
- Make sure the Block all incoming connection, including those in the of allowed apps option, is unchecked.
Another program that can create issues with Discord is your firewall. If Discord won’t update, it’s possible that your firewall is blocking something in the background, so it’s advised to disable it temporarily.
3. Run Discord as Administrator
- Make sure Discord is completely closed, and there is no Discord icon in the Taskbar.
- Open Task Manager by right-clicking on the Taskbar and selecting Task Manager.
- End any process related to Discord.
- Reboot your system.
- After the reboot, right-click on the Discord app and select Run as Administrator.
4. Reinstall Discord on existing installation
- Download the latest version of the Discord from the official website.
- Run the installer and allow Windows to proceed with the installation if you see a warning message.
5. Rename the Update File
- Press Windows Key + R.
- Type %LocalAppData% in the Run box and hit Enter.
- In the Local folder, look for Discord folder and open it.
- Find Update.exe, right-click it, and select Rename.
- Set the name as UpdateX.exe or Update1.exe or anything else.
- Launch the Discord app and try to install the update. Or simply download the latest version from the official website.
Another commonly suggested workaround for this issue is to rename the update.exe file in the AppData Local folder to something else.
After that, run the installer and try to update the app either through the existing installer or by downloading it from the official website as suggested in the earlier solution.
6. Uninstall Discord and delete the local app data
- Press Windows Key + R.
- In the Run dialogue box, type %LocalAppData% and hit Enter.
- Look for Discord folder. Right-click on the Discord folder and select Delete.
- Next, type %appdata% in the Run dialogue box and hit Enter.
- Again right-click on the Discord folder and select Delete.
- Download the Discord app from the official website.
Run the installer. As you have downloaded the installer directly from the official website, the installer is most likely will install the latest version of the Discord app.
Another way to remove Discord from your PC is to use uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller. By using uninstaller software, you’ll ensure that Discord and all of its files are completely removed from your PC.
These are some solutions that you can try if Discord won’t update on your PC. Feel free to try them all and let us know if they worked for you.