- If Discord Push to Talk is not working, it might be due to corrupted audio drivers.
- Try to reset Video and Voice settings and check the Push to Talk key bindings to resolve the issue.
- Additionally, look for permission issues and run Discord in Administrator mode.
- You can also boot into Safe Boot mode to diagnose the PC for third-party software conflict.
The Push to Talk feature in Discord helps avoid keeping your microphone on all the time and prevents background noises from leaking. If you need to know how to enable/disable push-to-talk on Discord, we recommend checking our dedicated guide.
Even if this is a great tool, several users have reported the Discord Push to Talk not working in a game problem.
When the user hits the key to enable Push to Talk, the app fails to recognize the input. The problem seems to be occurring due to permission issues with Discord.
In this guide, we have listed a few troubleshooting methods. If Discord Push to Talk is not working, make sure you scroll through all the presented steps to resolve the issue quickly.
What is the Discord Push to Talk feature and why is it not working?
If you’re not sure why Discord Push to Talk is not working on your PC, we suggest verifying the following reasons that we’ve compiled for you:
- Audio driver problems – The Discord Push to Talk no working problem might occur due to corrupted audio drivers on your computer.
- Wrong Discord Voice & Video settings – The error might also come up because of inconsistent in-app settings, so checking the Voice and Video settings in Discord can help fix the issue.
- Incorrect keybind settings – If you use PTT, you’re probably already aware of keybinds and how they work. However, if you don’t configure them as necessary, you might get into trouble.
- Apps are blocking the feature – Another reason could be external factors like your PC settings or third-party applications that could interfere with the proper functioning of the Push to Talk feature.
- Wrong user privileges – Also, if your game is running in administrator mode you’ll have to run Discord in administrator mode as well, so it can recognize the Push to Talk keys.
What can I do if Discord Push to Talk is not working?
1. Update the audio driver
- Hit the Windows key, type Device Manager, then open it.
- Expand the Sound, video, and game controllers section, then right-click on your audio driver, and choose to Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for drivers.
- If there are any available drivers that need to be updated, you’ll be notified.
Incompatible or outdated audio drivers can cause issues with the Discord Push to Talk feature. You can resolve this quickly by simply updating your audio driver.
This option also proved to be efficient if Discord audio keeps cutting out. Thus, in case you run into this trouble, you already have a useful method to try.
If you require a more effective and time-saving solution to update any of your drivers, there is a dedicated tool for this task.
This practical driver software will entirely scan your PC for outdated or broken driver files and proceed to resolve them in no time.
You can select the audio driver or any others and update them in one go or individually. Plus, you can perform it securely without getting the wrong driver version.
2. Run as Administrator
- Make sure you have quit Discord completely.
- Right-click on the Discord shortcut from the desktop, then choose to Run as Administrator.
- UAC may prompt you to confirm the action; click on Yes.
- Once the app is running, try using the Push to Talk feature in Discord to see if the push to talk Discord not in game problem is resolved.
Running Discord in administrator mode may be necessary if your game is also using the admin mode. Operating the VoIP app with administrative privileges seems to have fixed the issue for many users.
However, if the problem persists after opening Discord with administrator privileges, try restarting your PC. After the restart, run the app with administrator access and check for any improvements.
If you’re not sure how to check your System Tray, you should click on the arrow from your Taskbar right bottom corner.
If the Discord Push to Talk feature is still not working in-game, make sure you keep on reading.
3. Check keybinding and reset Discord settings
- Use the following keyboard shortcut: Windows + S.
- Type Discord, then open the first result.
- Navigate to the User Settings on the bottom (marked as a gear).
- Open the Keybinds tab from the left pane.
- Scroll through the Keybind and make sure you are not using the same key for Push to Talk and Push to Mute.
- Next, open the Voice & Video tab from the left pane.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Reset Voice Settings button.
- Click OK to confirm the action when prompted by Discord.
Resetting the Discord voice and video configuration will restore the default settings. After resetting the Voice Settings, create a new Keybind for Push to Talk. Use the newly created Push to Talk key if it is working.
4. Boot in Safe Mode
- Use the following keyboard shortcut: Windows + R.
- Type msconfig and click OK to open System Configuration.
- Open the Service tab and check the Hide All Microsoft Services box. It is important to check the box to avoid accidentally disabling essential Microsoft services.
- Once done, click the Disable All button.
- Open the Startup tab and click on the Open Task Manager.
- In Task Manager, disable all the Startup enabled apps.
- Go back to the System Configuration window and click Apply and OK.
- Click on Restart Now and wait for the PC to start in Safe Boot mode.
In Safe Boot mode, Windows loads with a minimal set of drivers and programs. You can use this to diagnose the problem and check if it is triggered due to a third-party app.
In Safe Boot mode, launch Discord and check if the Push to Talk feature works in the game. If it works, find and uninstall the third-party app that may be creating conflict.
5. Uninstall third-party audio software
- Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel, then open it.
- Go to Programs.
- Navigate to Programs and features.
- Scroll through the apps and select the most recently installed app. If you have installed third-party audio or VoIP software, choose that instead.
- Right-click on it, then select Uninstall.
- Confirm the action by clicking on Yes.
- Wait for the app to uninstall and then restart the computer.
After the restart, relaunch the app, check if Push to Talk is enabled. Once done, connect to a game and check if Push to Talk is working again.
What else should I know about Discord Push to Talk?
You should think of PTT like a door, the key bind being the one that opens the door. In addition, the Release Delay can be imagined how long it takes for that door to close.
Also, keep in mind that Push-to-Talk only works in the browser app when the window is in focus. If you want to use PTT system-wide, you’ll have to download the desktop client!
In this article, we have listed a few easy fixes. Work your way down the list till you find the one that works. To discover more about the feature, you can also check the official Discord support page.
Because your opinion is important to us, do not hesitate to share it by leaving a comment in the section below. So, if our steps worked for you, feel free to notify us.