- The Discord Push to Talk not working in-game problem occurs due to corrupted audio drivers.
- Try to reset Video and Voice settings and check the Push to Talk key bindings to resolve the issue.
- Additionally, look for permission issues and run Discord in Administrator mode.
- You can also boot into Safe Boot mode to diagnose the PC for third-party software conflict.
The Push to Talk feature in Discord helps avoid keeping your microphone on all the time and prevent background noises from leaking. However, several users have reported the Discord Push to Talk not working in a game problem.
When the user hits the key to enable Push to Talk, Discord fails to recognize the input. The problem seems to be occurring due to permission issues with Discord.
In this guide, we have listed a few troubleshooting methods to help you fix the Discord Push to Talk not working. Scroll through the steps to resolve the issue quickly.
How do I fix the Push to Talk feature on Discord?
1. Update the audio driver
Incompatible or outdated audio drivers can cause issues with the Discord Push to Talk feature. You can resolve this quickly by simply updating your audio driver.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system.There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC at risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Run as Administrator
- Make sure you have quit Discord completely. Check your System Tray to confirm the app is not running.
- Right-click on the Discord shortcut from the desktop.
- Click on the Run as Administrator option. UAC may prompt you to confirm the action; click Yes.
- Once the app is running, try using the Push to Talk feature in Discord to see if the push to talk Discord not in game problem is resolved.
Running Discord in administrator mode may be necessary if your game is also running on admin mode. Running the VoIP app with administrative privileges seem to have fixed the issue for many users.
However, if the problem persists after running Discord as an administrator, try restarting your PC. After the restart, run Discord once again as Administrator and check for any improvements.
3. Check keybinding and reset Discord settings
- Launch Discord and click the Setting button on the bottom.
- Open the Keybinds tab from the left pane.
- Scroll through the Keybind and make sure you are not using the same key for Push to Talk and Push to Mute.
- To remove any keybind, hover your mouse over the action and click the red X icon.
- Next, open the Voice and Video tab from the left pane.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Reset Voice Settings button.
- Click OK to confirm the action when prompted by Discord.
Resetting the Discord voice and video configuration will restore the default settings. After resetting the Voice Settings, create a new keybind for Push to Talk. Use the newly created Push to Talk key if it is working.
4. Boot in Safe Mode
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type msconfig.msc and click OK to open System Configuration.
- Open the Service tab and check the Hide All Microsoft Services box. It is important to check the box to avoid accidentally disabling essential Microsoft services.
- Once done, click the Disable All button.
- Open the Startup tab and click on the Open Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager, disable all the Startup enabled apps.
- Go back to the System Configuration window and click Apply and OK.
- Click on Restart Now and wait for the PC to start in Safe Boot mode.
In Safe Boot mode, Windows loads with a minimal set of drivers and programs. You can use this to diagnose the problem and check if it is triggered due to a third-party app.
In Safe Boot mode, launch Discord and check if the Push to Talk feature works in the game. If it works, find and uninstall the third-party app that may be creating conflict.
5. Uninstall third-party audio software
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK to open the Control Panel.
- Go to Programs and click on Programs and features.
- Scroll through the apps and select the most recently installed app. If you have installed third-party audio or VoIP software, choose that instead.
- Click the Uninstall button and then confirm the action by clicking on Yes.
- Wait for the app to uninstall and then restart the computer.
After the restart, relaunch Discord, check if Push to Talk is enabled. Once done, connect to a game and check if Push to Talk is working again.
The Discord Push to Talk not working in-game problem usually occurs due to outdated audio drivers or permission issues.
In this article, we have listed a few easy fixes. Work your way down the list till you find the one that works.