How do I remove Google Software Reporter tool?
Google Chrome is one of the most popular browsers used on the Windows 10 system. It’s important to know how it runs and what processes are related to this web-browser client and how your Windows 10 system is affected by these additional features.
Anyway, if you’re reading these lines, it means you somehow found the Software Reporter tool executable app.
Thus, in this article, we will tell you more about this Google Chrome add-on; the goal is to understand what this software_reporter_tool.exe program does and how to disable/remove it, if that’s necessary.
What is Google Chrome Software reporter tool used for?
The Software reporter tool is a Google Chrome program that scans your device. The scan is usually initiated once a week and runs for approximately 20 minutes. Here’s how Google explains the role of this tool:
The software_reporter_tool.exe is a part of malware scan which detects the presence of harmful or malicious content on Chrome. It scans the folders related to Chrome. Please do not worry as your data wouldn’t be effected by the clean up tool.
This executable is there to find programs that might not work properly along with Chrome and to remove them afterwards.
Moreover, the app reports these scans to Chrome. Based on these reports, the browser will then prompt you to remove the unwanted apps via the Chrome Cleanup tool.
In other words, the Chrome Software reporter tool is associated with the Chrome Cleanup software – the later runs based on the scans performed by the software_reporter_tool.exe executable file.
Now, when these scans are running you might experience a CPU high usage situation, which might make you decide to disable or remove the Google Chrome Software reporter tool.
Steps to disable Google Software Reporter tool
If you want to simply disable the tool, you need to go to the AppData folder there the software is located. Here are the steps to follow:
- The path to follow is this: C:Users[your username]AppDataLocalGoogleChromeUser DataSwReporter22.123.0.
- Now, right-click on the tool and go to Properties.
- In the new windows, select Security and go to Advanced.
- Click on the ‘Disable inheritance’ button and then remove all inherited permissions from this object.
- Apply the new security settings.
And this is how you can turn off Google Software Reporter. If you want to permanently uninstall the tool, follow the steps listed below.
Steps to remove Google Software Reporter for good
- First, of all, the software_reporter_tool.exe program is located on your Windows 10 device inside the Chrome directory.
- Usually, you can access this file by following this path C:Users[your username]AppDataLocalGoogleChromeUser DataSwReporter22.123.0.
- Now, you can just remove everything that you find there and get rid of Google Chrome Software reporter tool. However, this file might be afterwards automatically downloaded by Google Chrome once again – if the browser gets an update for example.
- So, what you should do instead is clear the content of this executable file. You can do that by opening software_reporter_tool.exe via text editor: open Note Pad, click on Open and choose software_reporter_tool.exe.
- Delete everything that will be displayed on Notepad and save your changes.
- This process should disable the function of software_reporter_tool.exe and it will never be shown up on process list. That’s all.
At this point, you should know why the Google Chrome Software reporter tool is running on your Windows 10 computer. Also, if you somehow notice that the software_reporter_tool.exe process is causing high CPU usage, you can disable/remove this Chrome add-on.
If you have further questions or if you need our help, share your thoughts and observations in the comment section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- What to do if Google Drive slows your Windows 10 PC
- Google might add a Never-Slow mode to Chrome
- 6 of the best VPNs for Google Chrome to use in 2019
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2017 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Blu-ray is, without doubt, the most powerful video content hub today, which is a marked improvement to the preceding DVD medium. However, its convenience of […]
Microsoft PowerPoint presentations usually contain important, sometimes classified, documents. Hence, most people tend to password-protect such documents against unauthorized access. However, what happens if you […]
The reception desk is the face and voice of any organization. An automated receptionist software simplifies the entire process of visitor management. Whether it’s the customer, […]