Werfault.exe Error on Windows 10: How to Fix & Main Causes
Corrupt system files are the chief causes of this issue
- WerFault.exe is a great feature to have on your PC because it tracks all kinds of errors and reports them back to Microsoft.
- If you are getting the Werfault.exe error on Windows 10, it might be because of corrupt system files.
- You can fix this issue by reinstalling your display drivers and restarting your PC.
The WerFault.exe error on Windows 10 is more common than you might think. WerFault.exe is located in the System32 folder of your Windows 10 operating system.
This executable file is used for Windows error reporting. So, at times, you might get an error related to the file. Thankfully, the WerFault.exe error is not the most difficult to solve, and we will show you how to do it in this guide.
What causes Werfault.exe?
There are a series of factors that can cause the Werfault.exe error. Below are some of the prevalent causes:
- Corrupt system files: One of the major causes of this error message is faulty or missing system files. You can fix this using built-in tools to repair and restore these files.
- Faulty drivers: Sometimes, your display drivers might be the reason for this error. This might be because they are faulty or outdated. Reinstalling or updating your drivers should do the trick.
- Issues with the required service: Another potential cause of this problem is the Windows Error Reporting service glitch. To fix this, you need to disable the service temporarily.
With the causes of the issue known, let’s look at some of the variations of the problem as reported by users:
- Werfault.exe application error black screen: Some users have reported that a black screen can sometimes accompany this error. You should be able to fix this by updating your display drivers.
- Werfault.exe error on startup: In some cases, you might be getting the error when you start your PC. This might be due to corrupt system files, and you should be able to fix it with one of our solutions.
- Werfault.exe error 0xc0000142: If you get an error code 0xc0000142 when opening a file, it might be down to compatibility issues.
- Werfault.exe error when opening pdf: This variation of this issue can be down to an outdated or faulty PDF reader.
How do I fix WerFault.exe on Windows 10?
1. Run the SFC command inside PowerShell (Admin)
- Press the Windows key+ X and select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- Inside the command prompt, type the command below and hit Enter:
- Scanning your protected system files and replacing the corrupt files with a cached version will start.
- Wait for the process to complete and reboot your PC.
- Try to see if the issue is resolved.
2. Use the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool
- Press the Windows key + R, type mdsched.exe, and press Enter.
- Choose the Restart now and check for problems option inside the windows memory diagnostic tool.
- Wait for the scan to finish and fix memory-related problems inside your Windows 10 OS.
3. Disable the Error Reporting Service
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Double-click the Windows Error Reporting Service to open its properties.
- Double-click on it.
- Set the Startup type to Disabled.
- Finally, click the Apply button, followed by OK.
4. Reinstall your display drivers
- Press the Windows key + X and choose Device Manager.
- Inside the Device Manager window, click on Display adapters to expand the section.
- Right-click the display adapter and select Uninstall device.
- Now, click the Uninstall button to confirm the action.
- Finally, click the Scan for hardware changes icon at the top.
Is WerFault exe a virus?
WerFault.exe is an important system process that reports issues on Windows 10 and 11. These reports help Microsoft detect and fix bugs and issues troubling your PC and your most-used apps.
Hence, it is not a virus and poses no threat to your PC.
In today’s fix article, we explored the best methods to try and troubleshoot your WerFault.exe error on Windows 10. Be sure to follow the methods carefully to avoid causing any other issues.
If you are facing other issues like the Rsaenh.dll corrupted file issue on Windows 10, check our detailed guide to fix it quickly.
Feel free to let us know the solution that helped you fix this issue in the comments below.