Fix: Windows 10 Anniversary Update sound problems
Anniversary Update was released last week, and although millions of users worldwide were excited about the update, many of them reported various issues after installing the Anniversary Update. Users reported various sound problems while using the latest Windows 10 build, so let’s see how to fix some of these problems.
How to fix sound problems after installing Anniversary Update?
Solution 1 – Reconnect your speakers or headphones
This is the simplest workaround, but few users reported that it works for them, so you might want to try it. According to them, if there’s no sound coming from your speakers or headphones, you might want to try reconnecting them. This is the simplest workaround, but bear in mind that you’ll have to repeat it every time when sound stops working.
Solution 2 – Reinstall the Nahimic software and audio drivers
According to users, after installation of the Anniversary Update, the sound became distorted. Users reported this problem with X99A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboards, and according to them, reinstalling the audio drivers and Nahimic software fixes this problem. To remove your audio drivers and Nahimic software, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and go to System section.
- Navigate to Apps & features tab.
- Select Nahimic software and click the Uninstall button.
After you do that, you need to uninstall your audio drivers as well. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X shortcut to open Power User Menu and select Device Manager.
- When Device Manager opens locate your audio driver, right click it and choose Uninstall from the menu.
- If available, select Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.
- After you’re done, restart your PC.
After you remove audio drivers and Nahimic software you need to reinstall them. To install audio drivers you need to visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers. Users reported that this solution fixed issues with distorted audio after Anniversary Update, and even if you don’t use Nahimic software, you can still try reinstalling your audio drivers.
Solution 3 – Download the latest version of Nahimic software
Users reported that Anniversary Update causes Nahimic audio software to crash, and if you want to use Nahimic software to fine-tune your audio settings, you’ll have to update it to the latest version. Version 2.3.0 of Nahimic software was released recently, and according to the developers, this version is fully compatible with the Anniversary Update. This version fixes many compatibility issues and bugs, therefore if you want to stop Nahimic crashes, be sure to download the latest version.
Updating drivers manually is very annoying, so we recommend you to download this driver updater tool (100% safe and tested by us) to do it automatically.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Sound Problems in Windows 10
Solution 4 – Reinstall DirectX
Some older games are missing audio after installing the Anniversary Update, and one of those games is Phantasy Star Online. If you have issues with audio in this or in any other game, be sure to reinstall the necessary version of DirectX. After reinstalling DirectX, restart your computer and problems with missing audio should be fixed.
Solution 5 – Set the audio to 24 bit format
Users reported that quality of their audio severely dropped after installing the Anniversary Update. One potential workaround that was discovered by users is to set the audio to the 24 bit format. To do that, follow these steps:
- Start your multimedia app and play any file.
- While music is playing, press Windows Key + S, enter sound and select Sound from the menu.
- In the Playback tab double click the Speakers option to open its properties.
- Go to Advanced tab and set the Default Format to a 24 bit value.
- After you’re done, click Apply and OK to save changes.
After setting the sound to 24 bit format, the audio quality should instantly change and problems with sound should be fixed. If the 24 bit format isn’t working, you might have to experiment with few different values until you find the one that works for you. Even though this workaround solves the problem, you’ll have to repeat it every time you start a different multimedia application.
Solution 6 – Run the Audio Playback Troubleshoot
According to some users, if you have problems with the sound quality, you might be able to fix this issue by running Audio Playback Troubleshoot. To do that, follow these simple steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter troubleshoot. Select Troubleshooting from the menu.
- Click Troubleshoot audio playback and wait for troubleshooter to fix the problem.
Solution 7 – Update all your drivers
Sound issues after installing the Anniversary Update can occur if your drivers are outdated, so we highly recommend that you update them. To fix this problem, be sure to update your motherboard and chipset drivers first, and then update drivers for your network card, and all other major components. We recommend this third-party tool (100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Even though Anniversary Update brought many improvements, many users are complaining about various sound issues. If you’re having sound issues on your device, we advise you to try all of our solutions from this article.
- Fix: 0xC1900101 – 0x20017 Anniversary Update error
- Fix: Apps crash after Windows 10 Anniversary Update install
- Fix Windows 10 Anniversary Update stuck in reboot
- Fix corrupted OneDrive files and shortcuts after Anniversary Update
- Fix: Not Enough Disk Space for Anniversary Update
Blu-ray is, without doubt, the most powerful video content hub today, which is a marked improvement to the preceding DVD medium. However, its convenience of […]
Microsoft PowerPoint presentations usually contain important, sometimes classified, documents. Hence, most people tend to password-protect such documents against unauthorized access. However, what happens if you […]
The reception desk is the face and voice of any organization. An automated receptionist software simplifies the entire process of visitor management. Whether it’s the customer, […]