Fix blurry legacy apps in Windows 10 with DPI scaling
You can now fix blurry fonts and stretched elements in old apps on Windows 10. We’ll show you exactly how in this article.
Every device features a high-DPI display these days and this includes laptops, phones, tablets and desktop PCs. Windows 10 comes with DPI scaling support to improve the entire viewing experience. Unfortunately, older legacy apps don’t benefit from it. Microsoft thought about a way to improve this and introduced some updates in both Windows 10 Anniversary Update and the Creators Update for fixing the problems.
High-DPI scaling improvements on Windows 10
Microsoft is working on improving the way that Windows 10 handles automatic scaling per-monitor to reduce the amount of blur or incorrect size for older apps. In case the apps don’t render correctly, the company also introduced the possibility to force an app to run as a DPI-unaware process.
Overriding System DPI Scaling for an older app
You can adjust your DPI scaling setting for an app that is not working well. Just follow these steps:
- Right-click on the desktop app’s shortcut and select Properties. If the app is on the taskbar, right-click on its icon, right-click the app’s name and go to Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab and check the ‘Override high DPI scaling behavior’ option.
Choose between the three high DPI scaling options:
- Application: This setting will disable DPI scaling for this app entirely and it will appear tiny but not blurry.
- System: Windows will use the default behavior and apps that don’t respect DPI settings will be bitmap stretched to appear larger, but they’ll probably look blurry.
- System (Enhanced): Windows will scale apps in a more intelligent way for crisp text. In the Creators Update, this will only work with GDI-based apps (traditional desktop apps).
Choose your favorite option, then click OK. This is all you’ll need to do to make your apps look better!
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 gets improved high-DPI support for desktop apps
- Here’s how the new high-DPI Windows 10 Creators Update display looks
- The Anniversary Update brings DPI scaling improvements
Javaw.exe is a process that launches Java programs. However, a “Windows cannot find javaw.exe” error message can pop up for some users when they try […]
10 quick solutions to fix laptop mousepad issues Update mousepad or touchpad drivers Uninstall and reinstall mouse drivers Use Windows generic mousepad driver Run an […]