- A firewall is an extra layer of protection for your digital devices.
- Whether as a built-in option in antivirus programs or as a standalone product, try the tools recommended below.
- For more information on protecting your online identity, see our Privacy section.
- You'll find similarly helpful information in the Update & Security Hub.
A firewall is a software that helps your system to monitor your online activity and prevent intrusions and attacks. Finding a suitable firewall for your needs can sometimes be a burden because there are many such products available on the market.
Users often test several programs until they find a firewall that satisfies their demands.
To avoid this long and annoying process, we provide you with a list of the best firewalls you can install on your Windows 10 computer.
The list includes both paid and free tools, and the former category often comes with a free trial, so that you can test the products at ease.
What are the best firewall tools to use on Windows 10?
Similarly to most antivirus software, VIPRE also comes with a built-in firewall that you only need to activate.
Downloading the tool is extremely easy if you use the button below. Setting it up is similarly intuitive and, as you’ll see, this is a very lightweight software with excellent threat detection and prevention results.
To activate the tool’s firewall, the easiest way is to:
- Right-click on the product icon in the system tray.
- Select Firewall and then Enable.
The same goes if you want to disable the option.
VIPRE Antivirus PlusTry this simple, yet very powerful antivirus, with an efficient firewall that will block any harmful attack on your Windows 10 device.
Bitdefender Total Security is currently one of the highly praised and most complete antivirus solutions on the market.
It comes with a user-friendly interface to appeal even to non-tech users, plus an efficient autopilot mode, network threat scan, ransom protection, optimization too, plus a VPN.
Of course, it also has a firewall which is activated by default, but you can configure its setting depending on your preferences.
This is how you can manage the firewall settings in Bitdefender:
- Install the product using the button below.
- Open Bitdefender Total Security.
- Go to the Protection tab and toggle the firewall switch to ON.
- Then, click Settings and go to Application Access.
- Go through all the options in this section.
- Edit rules for a specific application by clicking on the more menu (three dots.
Bitdefender Total SecurityGet a powerful layer of network protection with this firewall and safekeep your personal information from hackers and data breaches.
You can fully customize the security settings, and adapt them to your needs.
After you install ZoneAlarm, you need to check it from time to time to make sure that the applications that request internet access to run are not influenced by the firewall‘s filters.
The pop-ups ZoneAlarm displays are really simple, offering you 3 options when something goes wrong: Accept, Deny or Postpone, allowing you to be reminded later about your decision.
ZoneAlarm has 3 security levels:
- Low – a level dedicated to beginners, a learning mode, without OS firewall protection and limited pop-ups.
- Medium – at this security level, the software starts asking you for permission to access various Internet segments. This level is suitable for home networks with more than one system connected.
- High – this mode is not available in the free version of the software. It supports the Smart Defense Advisor that help you to reduce pop-ups by configuring the app access based on the decisions made by other users. It is suitable for use in public Wi-Fi areas.
The Internet segments of this software are divided into two categories: the Trusted Zone, commonly used for local networks, and the Internet Zone. Of course, you can adjust the security level for each area.
You can download ZoneAlarm from Check Point.
This firewall has a reliable scanning system with an outstanding HIPS level.
Its main feature is called Run safer and allows you to set different restrictions to any process, including web browsers, web readers, email, multimedia software, download managers and many more.
The number of pop-ups can be reduced thanks to the automatic safe program list. Every time you label a program as safe, every similar program also receives the same label.
No decision will be taken without your consent. Immediately after installation, this firewall performs a scan to index all software packages installed on your computer and will establish restrictions according to its built-in software list.
These restrictions can be changed at any time, and if one of the programs you installed is not on the list, a pop-up will prompt you to label the program as safe or unsafe.
Also, every time a program tries to connect to a web address, you’ll receive a notification that lets you choose if you allow the connection or not. This firewall is completely customizable and useful for any environment, you can use for at home or at work.
The installation process is very simple and fast and once installed, TinyWall runs automatically in the background.
You can control this software through the tray icon, which opens a small menu with basic features, such as changing the operating mode, adding exceptions for applications, indexing the network activity and many more.
From that menu you can manage the General settings, including the password protection of the tool. TinyWall also offers a scanning feature that detects the unknown applications and restricts them.
The Advanced settings tab allows users to configure this software according to their needs, but we recommend you to keep the pre-set settings if you are a beginner.
The Maintenance tab allows users to import and export settings, check for updates manually, and visit the official TinyWall website.
And with that, we conclude our list of the best firewalls for Windows 10. If you want to keep your PC safe, be sure to carefully test them and choose the one that fits you best.
For any more questions and suggestions, reach for the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and was completely revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.