A VPN (which stands for virtual private network) extends a private network across public networks like the Internet. In other words, they allow users to securely access a private network and share data remotely through public networks. VPN are largely used by corporations as a means of protecting sensitive data when connecting remote data centers. They are also used by individual users to protect their online privacy and spoof their physical location.
How does VPN work?
It enables a host computer to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if they were an integral part of the private network with all the functionality, security and management policies of the private network. This is done by establishing a virtual point-to-point connection through the use of dedicated connections, encryption, or a combination of the two.
Even if the technical side of VPNs can seem quite complicated, establishing a connection to a virtual private network is really easy. After connecting to the public internet through an ISP, the users can seamlessly start a VPN connection using a dedicated client software.
Why is it important?
VPN connections can be used for different reasons by corporations and private users.
The main upside for corporations is related to network security: in fact, VPNs substantially reduce the risk of cyber attacks and security branches. A VPN can be accessed from home and also while traveling and, for this reason, it can improve employees’ productiveness by lowering the risks of using unprotected networks while working. In this way, employees will feel safer when working on sensitive corporate projects on their way.
For private users, VPNs can ensure full privacy and safety when downloading and uploading files on the Internet, even when using P2P networks. In certain cases, it can also be used to bypass censorship and content surveillance by spoofing computer’s physical location.
Learn more about the world of VPN
- FIX: Apple Music not available in your region (Quick Guide)
- FIX: Can’t access Nordstrom website (8 tested methods)
- FIX: Can’t access Yelp (7 tested solutions)
- FIX: Coffee Meets Bagel not working (8 tested methods)
- FIX: Elite Dangerous not working with VPN (5 tested methods)
- FIX: ExpressVPN issues
- FIX: Google Play Store not working with VPN (6 easy methods)
- FIX: HBO Max not working with VPN (8 tested solutions)
- FIX: How to unblock Roblox (4 easy methods)
- FIX: Kohl’s website access denied (6 tested solutions)
- FIX: NordVPN not changing IP address (8 tested solutions)
- FIX: OpenVPN not changing IP address (5 tested solutions)
- FIX: PandaVPN not working (7 tested methods)
- FIX: Snap VPN not working (6 tested solutions)
- FIX: TikTok not working with VPN (7 tested solutions)
- FIX: UFO VPN not working (6 tested solutions)
- FIX: VPN establishment from a remote desktop is disabled
- 5 best VPNs for mobile data to protect your privacy
- 5 best VPNs for Orbi routers for enhanced online privacy
- 5 best VPNs for Oregon to protect your online privacy
- 5 best VPNs for PartyPoker to play without restrictions
- 5 best VPNs for Q Link to protect your online privacy
- 5 best VPNs for Qobuz to create an account from anywhere
- 5 best VPNs for Zoosk to access it from anywhere you want