- When you can't change the display resolution on Windows 10, it means that your drivers could be missing some updates.
- For this particular situation don't miss out on the professional tool with scanning abilities that we recommend in this guide.
- If you can't change the display resolution, try installing the drivers in compatibility mode.
- Applying some settings manually in the AMD Catalyst Control Center is another great fix.
After Windows 10 upgrade, most users reported that can’t change the resolution on their Windows 10 devices, which can be quite annoying and affect various online activities.
In order to enjoy a good display experience, screen resolution settings on your computer were set so you can change or adjust them to suit your viewing pleasure.
Much as it may seem to be a typical problem, where the screen literally freezes at the most basic resolution, or you find the setting grayed out so you cannot change it, there is a cause and fixes to it.
The problem is usually a result of incompatible or outdated display drivers that conflict with Windows 10 hence you’re not able to adjust screen resolution.
In this article we’re going to explore all the solution that you can resort to in order to solve the problem.
How can I fix Windows 10 screen resolution?
1. Update display adapter driver
1.1. Use Windows Update
- Click Start.
- Type in Settings.
- Access the Update & Security option from the left panel, menu.
- In the Windows Update menu click Check for Updates.
If you’ve tried to restart your computer and Windows 10 still can’t change the resolution, update the display adapter driver with Windows Updates by accessing the Settings menu, and click Windows Update.
1.2. Rely on advanced software
If you are experiencing problems with adjusting the screen resolution on Windows 10, try updating your drivers with a tool that can scan your device and provide you with an accurate report.
Various errors are the result of a malfunctioning driver. When this is the case, you may need to update or reinstall completely this specific component. As the process is not straight-forward to complete, we recommend using an automated tool for the job. Here's how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the app.
- Wait for the software to detect all your faulty drivers.
- You will now be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your Windows safe from any type of errors caused by corrupted drivers, by installing and using DriverFix today!
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Uninstall and reinstall the display driver
- Right-click Start.
- Select Device Manager.
- Click Display driver/adapter.
- Select the name of your display driver e.g. NVidia.
- Click Uninstall.
- Confirm that you wish to continue with the uninstall.
Once driver files have uninstalled, restart your computer to automatically install the generic display driver. Users have claimed that this procedure helped them fix the resolution issue on their PCs.
If you have trouble installing the drivers then make sure to check our article where we detail every procedure that you need to apply in order to solve the problem.
3. Update Bluetooth drivers
- Right click Start.
- Select Device Manager.
- Click Display driver/adapter.
- Right-click your display/graphic devices.
- Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard.
- Restart the computer and check.
Updating the Bluetooth drivers is another method that can help when you can’t change display resolution on your device. You can also go to the manufacturer’s site in order to install the drivers.
4. Install drivers in compatibility mode
- Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.
- Right-click on the driver setup file and click on Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab and check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows 10.
- Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists
We recommend you download the drivers in compatibility mode in order to fix the screen resolution problem. Once you access the Compatibility tab follow the steps above and then restart your device.
5. Use AMD Catalyst Control Center
- Right-click Start and select Device Manager.
- Click on Display Adapters and click your display card.
- Click on Search for a driver on the computer.
- Click Select driver from list.
- Pick the newest one you have.
- Restart your computer. When the AMD Catalyst Control Center works, go under My Digital Flat Panels and from there to Scaling Options and it as needed and click Apply.
User mentioned that by manually choosing certain options in the AMD Catalyst Control Center they managed to fix the problem they had with adjusting the screen resolution.
6. Use the Graphics card control panel
- Right click on Desktop.
- Select NVidia control panel.
- Go to Display.
- Change resolution and adjust accordingly.
Go to your graphics card control panel and select the Resolution setting, then set your screen resolution.
If the display control panel is unable to change the resolution go to the NVidia menu as shown above, and modify the resolution from the Display option.
In case you’re experiencing problems with opening the NVidia Control Panel we’ve prepared a guide that can help you sort out this issue in just a few easy steps.
Were you able to adjust screen resolution after using one of these fixes? Let us know in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Out of date display, drivers can be at the root of the problem. Find out how you can fix the error in this article that includes solutions on what to if Windows 10 won’t let you adjust screen resolution.
One solution is to check the GPU drivers. See other alternatives in this guide that explores if what to do if your display is not working after Windows 10 update.
You can try using default drivers instead. Find out more about this problem in this article that focuses on how to calibrate the touchscreen on Windows 10 quickly and easily.