Since all good things come to an end at some point, Microsoft finally decided to cease support for Windows 7.
Because of this, all Windows 7 users have no other option than to upgrade to Windows 10. Of course, those that re part of business environments can choose to stay with Windows 7, as long as they get the Extended Support for Business.
Migrating to a new OS isn’t all that easy, especially if you want to take off your files and data along with you. Of course, some data is trickier to migrate than others, such as installed programs, games, or user profiles.
Speaking of profiles, there is a method that you can use through which you can also migrate a roaming profile to Windows 10 as well. That is precisely why we’ve created this step-by-step guide on how you can perform that exact operation.
How can I migrate a roaming profile to Windows 10?
1. Change your profile from Roaming to Local
First of all, you will need to know how to convert a roaming account into a local (domain) account:
- On the Windows 7 PC, right-click My Computer
- Select Properties
- On the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced System Settings tab
- On the Advanced tab, click Settings under User Profiles
- In the Profiles stored on this computer box, click the profile that you want to change
- Click Change Type
- This will open the Change Profile Type dialog box
- Click Roaming Profile or Local Profile to change to a different type
- Click OK until the process is complete
Once your profile has been converted to a local profile, you can then use the Windows Easy Transfer feature to migrate it safely to Windows 10.
2. Migrate your profile to Windows 10
The following steps will be taken on the Windows 7 PC:
- Navigate to My computer
- Go to C:\Windows\System32
- Select the MIGWIZ folder
- Copy the folder
- Paste it on an external drive
- Launch Windows Easy Transfer
- You will be asked What do you want to use to transfer items to your new computer?
- Choose An external hard disk or USB Flash drive
- Choose This is my old computer
- The next window will present you with a Windows Easy Transfer key. Save it somewhere
It is now time to transfer the profile to your Windows 10 PC:
- Insert the USB drive in the Windows 10 PC
- Copy the MIGWIZ folder on the hard drive
- Launch migwiz.exe
- Click Next
- Select This is my new PC
- Click Next
- Choose My old computer is running Windows 7
- Insert the Windows Easy Transfer key
- Finish the setup
By following these steps, not only will you convert a roaming profile into a local one, but you will also be capable of migrating in from a Windows 7 to a Windows 10 PC.
Did you find this article useful? Let us know in the comment section below.
RELATED ARTICLES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT: