- Some users have requested to know how to download Xbox One controller drivers for the ancient Windows 7.
- The Microsoft Update Catalog is a direct means to download the Xbox One controller driver.
Although Windows 7 Xbox One controller driver download may seem like an old request, it is still relevant for users. However, they claim the challenge is how to download the drivers for Windows 7. Let us check out the guide to learn how to work through the download.
Does Windows 7 have controller support?
You cannot use Xbox One controllers on Windows 7 through Bluetooth connection because Windows 7 only supports the controller when connected via USB cord or the Xbox Wireless.
Microsoft released a wireless controller that can be used with PCs running Windows 7 and Windows 8 to make that move as seamless as possible.
The Xbox One controller is made to make it simple for users to pick up and start playing games without having to get too familiar with many new controls.
However, you must re-sync the Xbox Wireless Controller to the console to use it with the console after using it with a PC. Use a USB cord or the wireless sync button to accomplish this.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Try a different micro-USB cable if the controller is unresponsive. You can check for Xbox One controller driver errors if your controller remains unsupported.
In the next section, we will discuss how to run the Windows 7 Xbox One controller driver download.
How do I download Xbox One controller drivers for Windows 7?
1. Update your controller through your Device Manager
- Connect your Xbox One controller to your PC via a USB cord.
- Press the Windows + X keys and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your Xbox controller in the list, right-click on it and choose Update driver software.
- Next, click on Search automatically for updated drivers. Clicking on this option automatically searches for drivers.
- Your system will seek out the latest drivers, and if any are found, Windows begin to download the appropriate driver for your Xbox One controller.
- Restart your PC.
To configure Device Manager to search for drivers for your computer automatically, you must first connect your controller via USB to your PC.
One of the simplest ways to download/update your Xbox One wired controller driver on Windows 7 is to follow the above instructions to search for new drivers via the Device Manager.
The Windows 7 Xbox One controller driver download used to be available via a direct download link, but they are now part of the Windows update.
2. Use a driver updater tool
Some of these steps can seem complicated for someone who isn’t used to computers, so another good solution is to let an automated software find all outdated drivers and automatically install their updates.
You can prevent these problems by using an automatic tool that will search and install the correct drivers on your computer with just a few clicks. That's why we recommend you use Outbyte Driver Updater. Here's how to do it:
- Download and install the Outbyte Driver Updater app.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the app to detect all incompatible drivers.
- Afterward, it will show you a list of the drivers found to select the ones to Update or Ignore.
- Click on Update & Apply Selected to download and install the newest versions.
- Restart your PC to ensure the applied changes.
Outbyte Driver UpdaterUse this software and solve all driver-related issues from your PC.
3. Use a driver CD/DVD
- Insert the Xbox One controller driver CD/DVD into your computer’s CD drive.
- Open My Computer on your Windows 7 PC.
- To launch the new CD drive for installation, double-click on it or double-click the .exe extension file from the CD directory if it doesn’t launch.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of the Xbox One controller driver.
The Xbox One controller driver for Windows 7 can sometimes be downloaded and installed through this old-fashioned technique, despite its antiquity.
You can use the above steps to install the Xbox One controller driver if you have the driver CD or DVD. In case you have DVD driver issues, you can fix them by checking our detailed guide.
4. Use the Microsoft Update Catalog site
- Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog page.
- Then, type Xbox controller driver in the search box and click on the Search button.
- You should now see a list of the available Xbox controller updates.
- Next, click on the Download button next to the Windows 7 Xbox controller update you want to download.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process of the Windows 7 Xbox One controller driver download.
It’s easy to find and download Xbox One controller drivers for Windows 7 from the Microsoft Update Catalog website. In case your Xbox One wireless controller is not working, use this guide to troubleshoot it.
If you have any questions or suggestions, there’s the comments section below, do not hesitate to use it.