- The laptop won't turn on without the charger plugged in issue can be caused by wrong power settings.
- You can fix this issue quickly by running the power troubleshooter and disabling fast startup.
- Another solution to this problem is to uninstall the Microsoft ACPI battery driver.
The laptop won’t turn on without the charger plugged in issue is one of the weird issues reported by users on Windows PC. This issue can be frustrating, as it virtually turns your laptop into a desktop without UPS.
Thankfully, it is a problem that can be easily fixed, as shown in this guide.
SOLVED: Laptop charger issues on Windows 10, 8.1
1. Remove all peripherals
Remove all the external devices connected to the computer and unplug/remove the batteries from the laptop. After that, keep the laptop idle for 5-10 minutes and re-insert all the components. If this doesn’t work, run the hardware troubleshooter :
- Press the Windows + W, type troubleshooting, and press Enter.
- Click on Hardware and Sound and select Hardware and Devices.
- Now, click on Next to run the troubleshooter.
2 Uninstall Microsoft ACPI battery
- Press the Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc, and hit Enter.
- Expand the Batteries category.
- Under the Batteries category and right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing.
- Now, select Uninstall device. Be careful, do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI-compliant driver.
- On the Device Manager, click on Action, followed by Scan for hardware changes.
3. Run the Power troubleshooter and disable Fast Startup
Since this is a power-related issue, you can also run the built-in power troubleshooter to see if this solves your problem. Also, don’t forget to disable Fast Startup as well from Control Panel by following these steps:
- Open Control Panel and type power in the search bar.
- Select Choose what the power buttons do.
- Click the Change the settings that are currently unavailable option.
- Now, uncheck the option Turn on Fast Startup to disable the feature
After disabling the fast startup feature, check if the issue is fixed.
4. Replace your battery
If nothing fixed the problem, this indicates that your laptop’s battery is faulty and you need to replace it as soon as possible. Just ensure you get an original battery that works well with your PC.
There you have everything you need to fix the laptop won’t turn on without the charger plugged in issue. Just follow the instructions carefully, and things should be back to normal.
Similarly, if your computer charges but won’t turn on, check our detailed guide to fix it quickly.
Feel free to let us know the solution that helped you fix this issue in the comments below.