- Second Life is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, 8 but there isn't currently an official app Virtual reality fans will surely know of games like Second Life and SIMS which basically allow them to construct an alternate reality.
- Second Life on Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8 as well, features a fully-fledged store where users can acquire all the things their little heart desires to make their character more appealing.
Second Life is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, 8 but there isn’t currently an official app
Virtual reality fans will surely know of games like Second Life and SIMS which basically allow them to construct an alternate reality. Second Life differentiates itself from SIMS due to the fact that it can be played online, allowing users to interact with other peers who are connected to the same virtual reality.
[2018 UPDATE] Second Life celebrated it’s 15th Anniversary this year and counted 482,000 years total time users have spent in the game. There have been created 57million accounts on an average of 350,000 monthly new registrations from about 200 countries around the world.
Linden Lab announced that $68millions were paid to the creators and the virtual goods users have created in the marketplace are estimated at $5million.
A musical fest has been set-up and the CEO Ebbe Altberg met with the community to discuss what’s next for SL via two live Town Hall events. In case you missed that, you can catch up the videos after you get your game started.
Getting started with Second Life game on Windows 10
To play Second Life on Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, users must first download the executable and then install it on their machine or mobile device. Once the game started, gamers will find themselves in need of a virtual avatar.
To explore, communicate and connect on Second Life you will need to download the 3D browsing software from the official website. This is also called the SL viewer, it’s free, fast and easy to download and install. Once you get advanced in the game you might be interested to try different viewers available.
At the beginning of the game, certain features are available, but more can be unlocked as the game progresses. First, you have to see what you can do with the available resources in order to construct your virtual persona. Once you start walking around different environments and interact with other characters, the gameplay becomes more complex.
As you play along you might notice that some player might change a nice dress or a fancy hat or have taken up a shiny car. In case you want any of those things, you need to start paying real money.
Second Life on Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8 as well, features a fully-fledged store where users can acquire all the things their little heart desires to make their character more appealing. Why would anybody go through all that trouble, somebody might ask?
A newspaper report showcased that some people can get so hooked up to Second Life that it ends up affecting their real life. An American gamer was threatened with divorce by his wife who was accusing him of cheating with a Second Life female character.
But is this controversial game available for Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10 users? According to some members of the Second Life community, it’s impossible to run the game without a proper viewer. And not all viewers will work correctly.
Some on the other hand claim to have no problems running the application on the newest Microsoft operating system. Here’s a quick fix you should try in case your virtual reality vortex doesn’t open properly.
How to make Second Life work in Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8
- Identify Video/Graphics system for your computer/ get Windows 8, Windows 10 drivers from the official manufacturer.
- Try reinstalling Second Life once again using only the official version downloaded from Linden Lab, but be sure to perform a quick installation.
As the community forum’s users have suggested, most of the problems encountered in SL are driver issues. Our recommendation as well is to verify and update your drivers along with making sure you install the latest Windows Update as well.
Your computer may be new, but its drivers were loaded before it was put on a shelf in the warehouse, months ago, so they probably need to be reinstalled. That’s always my first move with a new machine anyway.
Downloading drivers manually is a process that carries the risk of getting the wrong driver installed, which may lead to serious malfunctions. The safer and easier way to update drivers on a Windows computer is by using an automatic tool such as TweakBit Driver Updater.
- Read also: How to update outdated drivers in Windows 10
If you still have doubts on how to do that here’s a quick guide to make Second Life work in Windows 8, Windows 10
- Go to File Explorer->Libraries/Computer/(C:) / Users/ <your username>
- Choose Continue to edit permanently the directory
- Select Options & Change Folder & Search Options from View drop-down menu option
- Select View Tab
- Search for Hidden Files and Folders and go for O Show hidden files, folders & Drivers radio button
- Click Apply then OK
- Open C:Users<username>AppDataLocal and delete everything in the Temp and Second Life folder
- Perform Second Life uninstall from Programs and Features
After re-installation, the game should run just fine. Enjoy your virtual life and stay safe!
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- The 6 Best Windows Mixed Reality Gaming Experiences
- Windows 10 users can now play The Sims 4 for free
- Best VR headsets for a truly immersive gaming experience to buy in 2018