Gpedit.msc Not Found on Windows 10? Here’s How to Enable it
You should try installing the Group Policy Editor manually
- If you are running Windows 10 Home version, then your PC does not come with Group Policy Editor.
- However, users running other supported versions are also facing this issue.
- You can enable it by creating and running a batch file or performing a system scan to find the missing files.
With the Group Policy Editor, you can easily tweak important system settings on the computer and the connected network. However, there are some users that aren’t able to open the Group Policy Editor and are coming across the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error.
If you are also experiencing this issue and looking for ways to fix it, you are in the right place. In this guide, we will show you a bunch of solutions to resolve the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error on Windows 10. Let us get right into it.
Why am I getting the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error?
It’s not just you, but several Windows 10 users are getting the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error. The complete error message reads Windows cannot find ‘gpedit.msc’. Make sure you’ve typed the name correctly, then try again.
Here are a few of the most common reasons that will trigger Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error on your Windows 10 PC.
- Your Windows 10 version doesn’t support it: You should ensure that the version of Windows 10 installed on your PC supports the Group Policy Editor.
- Corrupt system files: Chances are some Group Policy Editor-related system files are missing from your PC, because of which you are getting the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error.
- You have to enable it manually: If the Group Policy Editor is missing from your PC, you might have to enable it manually.
- Repair the system image file: Chances are that the Windows image has become unserviceable and is causing the issue.
Let us now check the solutions that will help you fix the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error.
How can I fix the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error?
1. Check your Windows version
- Press the Win + R keys to open the Run menu.
- Type winver and press Enter.
- A new About Windows box will open, and you will see the details there.
Do note that if you are running Windows 10 Home version, the Group Policy Editor does not feature in it.
This is why we advised you to check out the version of Windows OS you are running, as this will eliminate any confusion on why you are getting the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error.
2. Fix corrupt system files
- Open the Start menu by pressing the Win key.
- Open Command Prompt as an admin.
- Type the below command and press Enter.
- Wait for the tool to fix corrupt system files.
- Restart your PC.
Fixing corrupt files has helped several users resolve the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error on their Windows 10 PCs.
You can surely follow the above steps and use the SFC Scan to fix corrupt or missing system files; it can be eased by using a dedicated tool called Fortect.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to missing or corrupted system files and repositories of your Windows.
Be sure to use a dedicated tool, such as Fortect, which will scan and replace your broken files with their fresh versions from its repository.
With this software, you will be able to fix corrupt system files, fix system crashes, fix DLL and BSOD errors, and much more.
FortectKeep your computer healthy and repair all corrupt or broken OS files with Fortect.
3. Copy gpedit files
- Press Win + E to open the File Explorer.
- Navigate to this path C:\Windows\SysWOW64.
- Find GroupPolicy, GroupPolicyUsers, and gpedit.msc respectively.
- Copy these folders.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32.
- Paste the items here.
This solution was suggested by one user who has helped thousands of users to resolve the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error. You can also follow the above steps and copy the mentioned files into the folder.
4. Create a Group Policy Editor batch file
4.1. Use the ZIP file
- Download the Gpedit installer ZIP file.
- Extract the contents of the ZIP file.
- Open the EXE file and follow the instructions to install Gpedit.
- Restart your PC.
Following the above steps, you will manually add Gpedit or Group Policy Editor to your Windows 10 PC.
The file above is safe, and you do not need to worry about it being a virus. However, if you want to create a batch file, follow the method below.
4.2. Create a batch file
- Press the Win key to open the Start menu.
- Open Notepad.
- Copy and paste the below content on the notepad.
dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy ClientExtensions-Package~3*.mum >List.txt
dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~3*.mum >>List.txt
for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . List.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"
- Save the file with .BAT extension and rename it gpedit_enabler or something like that.
5. Reset your PC
- Press the Win + I keys to open Settings.
- Select Update & Security.
- Click on Recovery.
- Click Get started under Reset this PC.
- Select the Keep my files option.
If nothing works, then you should resort to resetting your PC. Chances are that the files are missing related to gpedit from your PC.
You can quickly fix this issue by resetting your PC. Be sure to check the keep my files option so that nothing of your files are deleted during the reset process.
That is it from us in this guide. We have a guide that explains how you can enable the Group Policy Editor on Windows 10 Home Edition.
You can also check out our guide that explains how to fix Group Policy Editor when it keeps reverting. If Group Policy Editor is missing on Windows 10, you should check out our guide and learn how to enable it.
Feel free to let us know in the comments below which one of the above solutions resolved the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc error.
Still experiencing issues?
If the above suggestions have not solved your problem, your computer may experience more severe Windows troubles. We suggest choosing an all-in-one solution like Fortect to fix problems efficiently. After installation, just click the View&Fix button and then press Start Repair.