Windows Defender is a basic antivirus software that comes with preinstalled with Windows 10. Although Windows Defender isn’t the best antivirus software it can do a decent job, but sometimes Windows Defender can cause problems. Speaking of Windows Defender issues, we have reports that Windows Defender is closing games, so let’s see if we can fix this somehow.
What to do if Windows Defender Closes Your Games in Windows 10
Solution 1 – Add an exclusion
Sometimes Windows Defender can cause issues with certain software, but the simplest way to fix these issues is to add an exclusion. To add an exclusion do the following:
- Go to Settings and open System or Update and Security.
- In the menu on the left find Windows Defender and click it.
- On the right side of the window navigate to Exclusions and click Add an exclusion.
- Choose Exclude a file location.
- Now select the directory of the game that is being closed by Windows Defender.
- Click Exclude this folder and this folder won’t be monitored by Windows Defender anymore.
Solution 2 – Turn off Windows Defender
Second option is to turn off Windows Defender permanently, but we have to warn you that leaving your system without an antivirus software isn’t the best option.
To turn off Windows Defender you just follow these steps:
- In the Search bar type gpedit.msc to open Local Group Policy Editor.
- On the left side navigate to:
- On the right side find Turn off Windows Defender and double click it.
- Turn off Windows Defender window will open, and you’ll need to select Disabled option.
- Click Apply and OK.
If this sounds bit advanced to you you can also add a registry key to disable Windows Defender.
- Download this file to turn off Windows Defender, and this file to turn on Windows Defender.
- When download is complete just run Turn_Off_Windows_Defender.reg. You might be asked if you want to run this file, so you just need to click Yes and confirm it.
- That’s it, Windows Defender is now disabled. If you want to turn it back on just run Turn_On_Windows_Defender.reg file that you’ve downloaded as well.
Once again, disabling Windows Defender might not be the best solution if you don’t have any other antivirus software. Great thing about Windows Defender is that it will automatically turn itself off when you install any third party antivirus, so you won’t have to deal with Local Group Policy Editor. And if you’re considering to install some third-party antivirus, you can check out our list of all Windows 10-compatible antivirus programs.
At the moment we don’t have any other solutions how to fix this issue, but we’ll keep you updated with new solutions if we find them. Meanwhile, we also have an article regarding Windows Defender, so you can learn more about it.
If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, reach for the comment section below, and maybe we can help you even more.
Read Also: Fix: Windows Store not Loading in Windows 10