Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- You can fix missing Windows system32 config system on Windows 10 by repairing your partition.
- In some cases, you'll have to repair your operating system in order to fix it.
System32 is the most essential directory on your PC, but many users reported that Windows system32 config system is missing on Windows 10.
This isn’t the only issue, and we already wrote about missing DLL files in Windows and how to restore them.
Corrupted system32 is a serious problem and it will prevent your PC from booting, but you might be able to fix it with steps from this guide.
What is Windows System32 error?
This error message appears if there’s a problem with your System32 directory. There are several causes for this issue:
- File corruption – If your System32 directory is corrupted, you Windows installation won’t work at all and you won’t be able to access Windows at all. This can lead to Windows System32 config system error 0xc00000e9 and many others.
- Registry corruption – System folder hold necessary Windows information, and if it gets corrupted, you won’t be able to boot at all.
How do I fix Windows system32 config system is missing or corrupt?
Before we start fixing this issue, we advise you to perform several preliminary tasks:
- Back up files from the C drive – To fix this error you might have to reinstall your operating system, so be sure to back up all your important files. You might have to connect your hard drive on a different PC in order to do that.
- Use Linux Live USB– Create a Linux Live USB on another PC and use it to back up your files. Few users reported that booting from Linux USB fixed the problem, so you might want to try that.
- Create Windows 10 installation media – Find a working computer and create a bootable Windows 10 installation media. You’ll need it to complete steps from this guide.
1. Scan for HDD errors
- Connect your USB flash drive to the PC.
- Press the F4 key to select a boot device. The key might be different on your PC and it’s usually displayed during the boot.
- Select your USB flash drive.
- Windows installation will now start. Select Repair your computer.
- Now select Troubleshoot. Next, go to Advanced options.
- Lastly, pick Command Prompt.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
chkdsk /r C:
- Wait for the scan to finish.
After the scan is finished, check if the problem is resolved.
2. Perform a clean reinstall
- Backup your data from the system partition.
- Plug-in USB or insert DVD with the Windows 10 installation.
- Restart your PC and enter the boot menu. Choose to boot from the installation media.
- Wait until the installation files load and choose Install now.
- Select preferred settings and choose the Custom install.
- Select your C partition and click Next. Keep in mind that partitions aren’t labeled, so make sure you correctly determine the right partition.
- If there’s not enough space on the partition, you’ll have to format it before you can proceed.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
Once the process is done, you’ll have a fresh installation of Windows and the issue should be resolved. If you want to fix windows/system32/config/system without CD, then this is the way to go.
Fixing Windows system32 config system on Windows 10 is a complicated process, and it usually requires you to create installation media in order to repair or restore your system.
This isn’t the only error, but we tackled errors such as Windows cannot find windir system32 in a separate guide. Did you fixed this problem with a different solution? Share it with us in the comments below.