Some users have posted on Microsoft’s support forum about Windows Update error code 9c48. That issue has an error message which states:
Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
This error can arise for users when they try to install specific updates, which can often be for Internet Explorer or Edge. Although error 9c48 is no longer relevant to the unsupported Windows 7, it can also arise in Windows 10 and 8.1.
How do I fix Windows Update error 9c48?
1. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
- Some users have said the Windows Update troubleshooter helped fix error 9c48.
- To open Windows Update troubleshooter, press the Windows key and S at the same time.
- Enter troubleshooter as the search keyword.
- Click Windows Update Settings to open the window as in the snapshot directly below.
- Select Windows Update, and then click the Run this troubleshooter button for it.
- If the troubleshooter provides a potential resolution, click the Apply this fix option.
- Thereafter, restart your desktop or laptop.
2. Check the Windows Modules Installer
Error 9c48 can arise when the Windows Modules Installer isn’t enabled.
- To check if that service is enabled, open Run by pressing the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- To open the services window, enter services.msc in the Open box and click OK.
- Double-click Windows Modules Installer to open the properties window for it.
- Select the Automatic option on the Startup type drop-down menu.
- Click the Apply button.
- Select the OK option.
3. Uninstall third-party antivirus software
Third-party antivirus software, such as AVAST and McAfee, can be responsible for error 9c48.
- To uninstall your antivirus utility, launch the Run accessory.
- Input appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and click the OK button.
- Select your antivirus utility in the Programs and Features Control Panel applet.
- Click the Uninstall option.
- Select Yes to confirm, and then go through the uninstall wizard for the software.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling your antivirus utility.
- Thereafter, Windows Defender can replace the uninstalled antivirus software if removing it resolves the issue.
Before uninstalling antivirus software, you can disable it to see if that fixes the update issue by right-clicking its system tray icon and selecting a disable or turn off the option.
If that does resolve the issue, uninstall the antivirus utility as outlined above.
4. Rollback Windows
Windows’ System Restore utility might fix error 9c48 if your desktop or laptop includes a restore point that predates the time error 9c48 started to stop updates on it.
- First, launch the Run accessory.
- Input rstrui in Run’s text box and click OK to open System Restore.
- Select the Choose a different restore option if System Restore displays that setting.
- Click Next to proceed to the list of restore points.
- Select the Show more restore points option if System Restore displays it.
- Choose a restore point that will restore the desktop or laptop to a date when error 9c48 wasn’t an issue on your laptop or desktop.
- If in doubt, go for the oldest restore point.
- Your software installed after the selected restore point gets deleted.
- Click the Next button, and then select Finish to confirm.
The above resolutions could fix Windows Update error code 9c48 on your desktop or laptop. As a last resort, reset Windows if the above resolutions don’t resolve error 9c48.
The Factory reset Windows 10 post provides further details for resetting the platform.
Which one of our verified methods helped you with this Windows Update error? Let us know by leaving a message in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
One good example of a WIndows Update error is that it is one of the causes of BSoDs after applying the patch.
One fast way of fixing Windows Update errors is to just use the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Yes, Updates can be easily reverted by either uninstalling that particular KB, or by rolling back your OS using a restore point.