- Still using Windows XP even if this OS has gone out of support? Protection remains mandatory.
- In this article, we're going to list the best VPN software tools to use on Windows XP.
- Don't give up on this OS just yet and take a look at our Windows XP section.
- Our VPN Hub can help all those who are eager to find all about Virtual Private Networking.
Are you worried about what VPN client software to use for your Windows XP PC? Then, this post is meant for you. You may wonder what VPN is all about.
A virtual private network (VPN) is a private data network that abstracts your Internet connection so as to maintain privacy through cryptographic security protocols.
In addition, a VPN hides your IP address and makes you anonymous online. Such a service can be installed on a number of operating systems and devices to secure all network traffic.
Windows XP was a popular operating system from Microsoft after its launch in October 2001. Even though it is outdated, it is still used by a number of people today, especially in developing countries.
However, if you are using Windows XP, you can still benefit from using VPN client software on your PC.
What is the best VPN client software for Windows XP?
Private Internet Access is one of the most reliable VPN clients in the cyber world. It is mostly known for its overall flexibility with a wide range of platforms, including Windows XP.
Developed by Kape Technologies, this VPN is based in the United States. Are you worried about it being under the jurisdiction authorities in the country?
You shouldn’t be since it has an explicit no-logging policy confirmed by users and companies worldwide.
Moreover, if you want unlimited bandwidth and data transfer, these shouldn’t be a problem, just like changing your mind is allowed with that generous 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a quick look at these Private Internet Access key features:
- Real IP address masking
- Industry-leading encryption protocols (OpenVPN included)
- Security even while using public Wi-Fi
- Fast connections for higher-speed browsing
- Powerful enough to cover 10 connections with 1 subscription
- Competitive subscription prices
Private Internet AccessPrivate Internet Access is your top VPN software for Windows XP. Currently available at a major discount!
After several tests, our team concluded that NordVPN would be the best VPN to fit on a Windows XP computer.
This Tefincom & Co., S.A. VPN offers you multiple ways to protect your connection: DNS leak protection, kill switch, double-hop, and auto-connect (user favorite connection).
You can use it on multiple devices besides your own PC, though it can be slower than other VPNs because of its extra security features.
However, you’ll be perfectly satisfied with the security level provided.
Here are some of the most notable features:
- Allowing HD streaming without slowing down your connection
- Over 200 servers at your disposal
- 6 device-usage for 1 license
- Double data protection (passing it through 2 servers)
One more important mention is that you basically have a 3-days trial period before you buy one of its affordable plans.
As its name suggests, IPVanish makes your IP address disappear, making you anonymous online.
This VPN client software utilizes its own cryptographic encryption technology to protect your data and information.
If you want to be virtually everywhere online, it is possible because this StackPath, LLC VPN solution has access to over 40,000+ shared IPs, 500+ VPN servers in 60+ countries.
Other key features of IPVanish include:
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Unlimited bandwidth and anonymous torrenting
- Zero traffic logs
- OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP/IPsec VPN protocols
- Up to 5 simultaneous connections on multiple devices
- 24/7 customer support
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPN services available most especially for the Windows XP system.
Owned by Express VPN International Ltd., this VPN client software uses an SSL secured network with 256-bit encryption; in addition, it utilizes unlimited bandwidth and Internet speed.
An interesting feature is that it uses 136 VPN servers from 87 countries, hence an express network, as its name suggests.
Other key features include:
- Unlimited bandwidth, server switches, and speed
- It uses OpenVPN(TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, SSTP, and PPTP protocols
- Masked network traffic
- Synchronized connections on up to 3 systems
This VPN software is popular among Windows XP users. It has a user-friendly interface making it easier for novice PC users to anonymize their data network.
In addition, Total VPN uses strong encryption protocols (PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and IkeV2).
Some key features of TotalVPN include:
- Zero monitoring of browser logs
- Full protection on public Wi-FI networks
- IP address, location, and personal information are masked
- Customer support via email or chat 24/7 365
However, the only limitation of TotalVPN on Windows XP is that the connection speed is slow, and also there are limitations in simultaneous connections.
The Total Premium subscription offers over 30 connection locations, unrestricted browsing and data, and no bandwidth.
TurboVPN is one of the best free VPN software available on the market. This VPN client software utilizes turbo speed and also has a stable connection which is non-fluctuating.
You do not have to pay any monthly or yearly fee in order to access the turbo power of this.
Other key features include:
- Low bandwidth usage
- Enables you to create hotspots and share a connection
- It works with 3G, LTE, and Wi-Fi
In conclusion, any of this software is ideal for your Windows XP system. You can also check out the best VPN apps for Windows Vista.
Do share with us your experience in using any of the VPN client software for Windows XP we mentioned above.
FAQ: Learn more about best VPN software for Windows XP
- How do I set up a VPN connection on my Windows XP PC?
The easiest way is to configure the connection manually, using the New Connection wizard. Apply the tips from this dedicated guide if the VPN isn’t compatible with Windows 10.
- Is Windows XP still safe to use now?
It’s not a good idea to keep using Windows XP as your main operating system. As time passes, newer vulnerabilities are discovered.
Since there’s no more support for this OS, they remain unpatched, exposing you to a lot of cyber threats.
- What is the best VPN service I can use on Windows XP?
All products on our list are viable Windows XP VPN solutions. However, Private Internet Access stands out from the crowd, as it offers top-notch protection.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.