- Users often complain about getting the checksum error when extracting the encrypted files.
- In this article, we explore a few troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the problem.
- Visit our File Management Software section to learn more about file compression and management software.
- For more in-depth articles check out our dedicated File Opener hub.
WinRAR is a great compression tool, but as all tools outhere, it does has its share of errors.
Many users report getting the checksum error when trying to extract the files from WinRAR.
This error is annoying to most people and some of the reasons to why it appears has to do with :
- Interruptions caused during the RAR file downloading process.
- File corruption caused by bad sectors on the drive.
- Viruses and extracting files from unreliable tools.
Don’t worry though, in this article we will explore some easy ways that will help you solve this error, so keep on reading.
How can I fix the checksum error in WinRAR file?
1. Try WinZip
There are many tools out there for compressing and sharing large files. Using one that is reliable and trustworthy will avoid having to deal with errors, that in the end lead to wasting time trying to solve them.
After several tests, our team concluded that WinZip is one such tool, that you can count on to do the job perfectly.
WinZip has many great features, and they all come to support an effccient work with close to zero errors.
This software goes above offering only some compression and sharing features.
Its an all-in-one tool that also comes with strong security options that keeps your files secured as you zip them.
Moreover, if you are used to working in cloud storage such as Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, and more, WinZip easily connects with them allowing you to easily access and manage all your files.
When it comes to maintaining the quality of your compressed images and videos, WinZip scores higher here as well. You can rest assured that all your archived personal files will remain the same as before archiving them.
Let’s have a look at some of it’s key features:
- Compression features.
- File deletion when duplicates are found.
- Advanced file management options.
- Microsoft Teams integration.
- Strong security and password protection.
Compress, secure and share your files, images and videos with this error free software. Try the best deal now!
2. Select the Broken files check box
- Right-click on the compressed RAR file.
- Select the Extract file option.
- Go to the Miscellaneous tab and check the box next to Keep Broken Files.
- Select the extraction location and click OK.
Note: It can happen that the checksum error will appear when you will try to extract the files. You can ignore it and simply continue with the extraction.
3. Repair the corrupt RAR files
- Right-click on the corrupted RAR file.
- Select Open with WinRAR from the options menu.
- Click on the Tools option and select Repair archive.
- Next, choose the destination where you want the repaired RAR file to be saved.
- After the repairing process has been completed, click OK.
Note: This inbuilt repair process is good for solving minor corruption in the file. If your files are severely damaged or if there are bad sectors on the drive, this method may not be as effective.
4. Uninstall and reinstall WinRAR
- Press the Windows key + R.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
- In Control Panel, select WinRAR.
- Click on Uninstall. Confirm the action by clicking on Uninstall/Yes.
- Once uninstalled, reboot the computer.
- Download and reinstall the app from the official WinRAR page.
5. Redownload the RAR file
One of the reasons for getting the WinRAR checksum error, could be caused by interrupted downloading process or an incomplete one.
Therefore, redownloading the RAR archive is something worth trying, in order to eliminate this cause.
It is recommended that you download the file to a different location than then initial one.
Make sure that your Internet connection is stable and that the download process is completed before trying to extract the files from the RAR archive.
6. Check your Antivirus software
There is no doubt that leaving your device unprotected could lead to a lot of issues, including ones related to your RAR archives.
In case you have noticed that your antivirus has stopped responding along with WinRAR, then checking it is necessary.
With this last one, we conclude our article. We hope that one of the above suggestions has solved the checkusm error when trying to extract the files from your RAR archive.
If you have additional suggestions or recommendations, please let us know in the comments section below.