- World of Warcraft is one of the best MMO games ever. However, issues do show up from time to time.
- Check out some quick resolutions below for the World of Warcraft was unable to start up error.
- This Blizzard section includes a collection of World of Warcraft posts that provide further useful fixes.
- If you love games in general, we encourage you to take your time and visit our Gaming Hub as well.
Users can’t start World of Warcraft when that error message pops up. Do you need to fix that error? If so, check out these potential resolutions for it.
How do I fix the World of Warcraft 3D acceleration issue?
1. Update your graphics card driver
World of Warcraft 3D acceleration issues are often related to outdated drivers. That precisely why our recommendation for you is to rule out this option from the very start.
In order to verify if your graphics card driver needs to be updated, don’t hesitate to take advantage of a dedicated tool such as DriverFix.
To make the next step in overall hardware performance, do install it right away and have patience while it completes a full scan.
Don’t worry as DriverFix easily discovers missing drivers in seconds. Things are not much different for outdated ones, so feel free to install all of your out-of-date drivers or simply the graphics card driver.
You’ll have your computer running like new and you’ll be able to get back to enjoying World of Warcraft.
With a quick push of a button, Driverfix will help you update your graphics card driver and get back to your favorite game!
2. Turn off full-screen optimization and run the game as administrator
- First of all, press the Windows + E hotkey.
- Then, open your World of Warcraft game folder in File Explorer.
- Right-click the Wow-64.exe or WoW.exe in the World of Warcraft folder to select Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab shown in the shot directly below.
- Then select the Disable full-screen optimizations check box.
- In addition, select the Run this program as administrator option.
- Click Apply to save the settings.
- Click OK to exit the window.
Numerous players have confirmed that turning off full-screen optimization for World of Warcraft fixes this error.
3. Reset World of Warcraft to default
- At first, open your Blizzard Battle.net software.
- Click Blizzard at the top left of the software’s window.
- Click Options on the menu.
- Then select Game Settings for further options.
- Select the Reset In-Game Options for World of Warcraft.
- Press the Reset button.
- Thereafter, click the Done button.
Resetting World of Warcraft via the Blizzard software to default might resolve incompatible game settings. Complete the above procedure in that regard.
4. Select the Scan and Repair option
- Open the Blizzard Battle.net software.
- Select World of Warcraft on the left of the Blizzard window.
- Click Options to open that menu.
- Click Scan and Repair on the Options menu.
- Select the Begin Scan option to confirm.
Blizzard Battle.net’s Scan and Repair option might fix the World of Warcraft was unable to startup error for some users. Make sure to follow the above steps as well.
5. Turn off SLI for NVIDIA GPUs
- At first, right-click the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Expand the 3D Settings category.
- Click Set SLI and PhysX configuration on the left of the window.
- Then select the Do not use SLI radio button.
Turning off SLI (Scaleable Link Interface) for NVIDIA GPUs might fix the World of Warcraft was unable to startup error. In order to see if it works for you as well, apply the above steps.
6. Select the High-performance graphics option for World of Warcraft
- Right-click the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel on the context menu that opens.
- Click 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings on the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Select the Program Settings tab.
- Click the Add button.
- Click Browse to open an Add folder window. Select the Wow.exe on that window, and click the Open button.
- With World of Warcraft the selected program, select High-performance NVIDIA processor on the Select the preferred graphics processor drop-down menu.
Users with dual graphics laptops should make sure that World of Warcraft is assigned to a dedicated NVIDIA GPU. If that’s your case too, refer to the above steps.
Those are some of the more probable fixes for the World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration error.
In addition, make sure that your Windows 10 is fully updated by clicking Check for Windows updates on that platform’s update page.
Have the above fixes proved to be useful? Let us know in the comments area below.
Frequently Asked Questions
World of Warcraft is a 3D MMORPG set in a fantasy realm where you battle using weapons and magic.
Wolrd of Warcraft is subscription-based, but you can play the original WoW Classic for free.
There are several ways you can improve your lag in WoW for better gameplay, and we’ve included them all in this detailed guide.