Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- The Xbox 360 controller is a great gaming peripheral that can be used with Windows 10.
- By installing the appropriate drivers, you can ensure that your controller works properly and that you have the latest features and bug fixes.
PC gaming is one of the biggest gaming niches. But you would need specific drivers to make this a seamless endeavor, especially when using native console controllers. A few readers have wondered how to get the Xbox 360 controller driver on Windows 10.
So in this guide, we walk you through all the important steps from downloading to updating the driver so that you may enjoy a seamless gaming experience.
Can the Xbox 360 controller work on Windows 10?
The popular Xbox 360 controller is compatible with Windows 10. However, you must install the correct drivers to utilize the controller. It will work in either of the following scenarios:
- Wired connection – A USB cable is required to connect the Xbox 360 controller to a Windows 10 computer. Any USB cable will do, although a USB cable made especially for gaming can provide a stronger connection.
- Wireless connection – Up to four Xbox 360 controllers may be linked to a Windows 10 PC using the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver. This USB gadget is sold in Microsoft Store and other 3rd-party outlets.
How do I download the Xbox 360 controller driver on a Windows 10 device?
1. Driver download and installation for wired controllers
- Connect the Xbox controller to your Windows 10 PC using a USB cable. You should hear a connection beep and get a small pop notification.
- Click on the Setting up device notification to open the device settings.
- Finally, under Other devices, click on Unknown device (it may have a different name on your computer). Your Xbox 360 controller driver should now be installed on the Windows 10 device.
2. Driver download and installation for wireless controllers
- First, plug the wireless receiver into your Windows 10 device and make sure it shows the green light.
- Hot the middle X button on the controller.
- Press Windows + R on your PC keyboard to open the Run dialog, then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Expand Other devices, rightclick on Unknown devices and select Update Driver Software.
- Click Browse my computer for driver software, and hit Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Scroll down to the bottom, select Xbox 360 Peripherals, and hit Next.
- Lastly, click on the newest Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver.
- You should hear a beep showing that your drivers are installed and updated.
How do I update the Xbox 360 controller driver on Windows 10?
To update the driver after installation, you must use the Device Manager, as shown in Solution 2 above.
Note that there is no separate download link for Xbox 360 controller drivers for Windows 10, as they have been discontinued. So, you must use the automatic installation prompts for wired controllers or update from the wireless receiver installed on your computer.
And that is all we cover in this guide. You should be able to play any of your favorite games after using the solutions we show in this guide.
Finally, let us know in the comments section if you have any other ways of getting the Xbox 360 controller driver on Windows 10. Our readers would like to hear from you.