Key component of Xbox is its online multiplayer experience that allows you to play your favorite games against other players. Although online multiplayer is amazing, some users reported The current profile is not allowed message that prevents them from accessing online multiplayer on their console.
“The current profile is not allowed” Xbox error, how to fix it?
Table of contents:
- Make sure that you have Xbox Live Gold account
- Check if your Xbox Live Gold subscription is still active
- Delete and download your profile again
- Clear the Persistent storage
- Clear the MAC address
- Test the Xbox Live connection
- Clear the system cache
- Power cycle your console
Solution 1 – Make sure that you have Xbox Live Gold account
If you want to enjoy in online multiplayer, you need to register an Xbox Live Gold account. Signing up for Xbox Live Gold account is easy, and you can do it simply by visiting Xbox website. After you register Xbox Live account, the problem will be fixed and you should be able to enjoy in multiplayer without any problems. Keep in mind that you need to sign out of your account and log back in again in order to use Xbox Live Gold after you purchase it.
Solution 2 – Check if your Xbox Live Gold subscription is still active
Sometimes you might get The current profile is not allowed error if your Xbox Live Gold account is expired. To fix this issue, use any web browser to log in to your Xbox account and check the subscription section. If your subscription is expired, be sure to renew it in order to fix this problem.
If your Xbox Live Gold account was recently renewed, you’ll have to wait for 24 hours or more until Microsoft processes your transaction and renews your account. Some users are also suggesting to perform network test after reactivating your Xbox Live Gold account.
Solution 3 – Delete and download your profile again
Users reported that they fixed this error message simply by deleting their profile and downloading it again. To do that on Xbox 360, do the following:
- Go to Settings and select System.
- Navigate to Storage.
- If you don’t have external storage devices attached select Hard Drive. If you have additional devices connected, select All Devices.
- Select Profiles and choose the profile that you want to delete.
- Select Delete.
- Select Delete Profile Only option to delete your profile. This option will delete the profile while keeping all your saved games and achievements.
After deleting the profile, you need to add it again by following these steps:
- Press the Guide button on your controller.
- Select Download Profile option. If you don’t see this option it means that you’re signed in with a different profile currently, so be sure to sign out.
- Choose Download Profile.
- Enter your Microsoft account login information.
- Select the storage location for your profile.
- After the profile is downloaded, check if the problem is fixed.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Xbox error UI-122
To delete your account on Xbox One, do this:
- On the Home screen scroll left to open the Guide.
- Select Settings > All Settings.
- In the Account section select Remove accounts and choose your account.
To add download your account again, follow these steps:
- Open the Guide and choose Sign in > Add & manage.
- Select Add new and enter your login information.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
Solution 4 – Clear the Persistent storage
Persistent storage can sometimes cause certain errors on your Xbox such as The current profile is not allowed error. To fix this problem, you need to clear the Persistent storage by following these steps:
- Open the Guide and select Settings.
- Select All Settings > Disc and Blu-ray.
- Select Blu-ray > Pesistant Storage and choose Clear Persistent Storage.
Solution 5 – Clear the MAC address
Sometimes you can fix this error simply by clearing the MAC address. To do that, follow these instructions:
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select Network settings > Advanced settings > Alternative MAC address.
- Choose the Clear option.
- After clearing the MAC address, turn off your Xbox. Disconnect the power cable and wait for few minutes.
- Connect the power cable and turn on your Xbox again.
After doing that, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 6 – Test the Xbox Live connection
According to users, you can fix this problem simply by testing your Xbox Live connection. To do that follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Network Settings.
- Select your network and choose Test Xbox LIVE connection option.
- After the process is completed, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 7 – Clear the system cache
The next thing we’re going to try is clearing the system cache. Here’s what you need to do:
- Press the Guide button on your controller.
- Go to Settings and select System Settings.
- Select Storage or Memory.
- Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller (you can select any storage device, because the system will clear the cache for all of them).
- Select Clear System Cache.
- Confirm the action.
- Restart your console
Solution 8 – Power cycle your console
If other solutions don’t work, you might want to perform a factory reset. This option will usually delete all files from your console and reset it to original state. This means that you’ll delete all your accounts, saved games, settings and files. If you want to keep your files, we strongly suggest that you back them up to a USB flash drive before starting the reset process. To reset your Xbox to factory settings, do the following:
- Open the guide by scrolling left on the Home screen.
- Select Settings and go to All Settings.
- Choose System > Console info & updates.
- Select Reset console.
- You should see two options available: Reset and keep my games & apps and Reset and remove everything. We suggest that you use the first option since this option will only reset your console and delete potentially corrupted data without deleting games and other large files. If that option doesn’t work and the problem still persists, be sure to use Reset and remove everything option. This option will delete all downloaded games, saved games, accounts and applications, therefore if you want to preserve some of your files, we suggest that you back them up before using this option.
The current profile is not allowed error can prevent you from playing Xbox games online, but we hope that you managed to fix the problem after using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.