How to Install Linux Ubuntu on Surface Pro Windows 8.1 Tablets
Well as good as the Surface Pro sounds for Windows 8 I think a couple of users are wondering how and if you can install any other operating systems on your Surface Pro device. You will be glad to hear t hat you can always change your operating system to Ubuntu, this is a Linux type operating system and for the Linux users out there it is highly recommended and very easy to use and install.
All thatâ€™s necessary for you to have is only a USB drive or perhaps a Micro SD card and you can get started right away with the installation of Linux on your Surface Pro device. Also before you get started with the installation of Linux on the Surface Pro device it would be highly recommended that you back up all you have in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 to prevent any loss of information.
Guide on Linux Installation for Surface Pro devices
First of all we will need to disable â€śSecure Bootâ€ť feature:
- Move the mouse cursor over the right of the screen to open the Charms bar in your Windows 8 system.
- Left click or tap on the â€śSettingsâ€ť icon you have in the Charms bar.
- Left click or tap the â€śChange PC Settingsâ€ť situated on the bottom of the Settings window.
- Under the â€śGeneralâ€ť topic you will have there â€śSettingsâ€ť panel, you will have to choose the feature â€śAdvanced Startupâ€ť.
- Let your Surface Pro boot into the Blue menu you will have to click or tap the â€śTroubleshootâ€ť icon.
- After you get into the â€śTroubleshootâ€ť menu you need to tap or click on â€śAdvanced Optionsâ€ť.
- In the Advanced Options menu you will need to click or tap â€śUEFI Firmware Settingsâ€ť.
- This feature will restart your system again and will bring it back up with a black screen and two options available for you.
- Tap or click the â€śSecure Boot Controlâ€ť feature (the feature should be on â€śEnableâ€ť).
- After you tap the â€śSecure Boot Featureâ€ť a menu will pop up and you will have the option to set it as Disable.
- After you set the â€śSecure Boot Featureâ€ť to â€śDisableâ€ť you need to tap â€śExit Setupâ€ť and your Surface Pro will restart again.
The next step in this process is to boot from the USB or Micro SD card:
Of course for this you need a bootable copy of Ubuntu Linux on your USB drive or MicroSD card.
- Place the USB drive or Micro SD card in the Surface Pro USB slot or Micro SD slot.
- Move the mouse cursor to the right side of the screen and from the Charms Bar tap the â€śSettingsâ€ť icon.
- From there tap the â€śChange PC Settingsâ€ť and tap again the â€śAdvanced Startupâ€ť feature as you did above.
- Click or tap the icon resembling the USB stick from the menu.
- Click or tap the DVD â€śUse a device the Surface pro has booted into Advanced Settingsâ€ť.
- In this menu you will have access to the available boot options that you have in your system.
- Tap from this menu the USB stick or Micro SD you have the Linux Ubuntu on.
- Now it will boot into the USB stick or MicroSD.
- After the USB with Linux Ubuntu boots up you will be presented with two options: to install the Linux Ubuntu in your system or to boot directly from the USB stick and try it for yourself before you install it on to your Surface Pro
We will choose the second option and boot directly the Linux Ubuntu from the stick.
- When we get into Ubuntu you will have an option on the desktop to continue with the installation of Ubuntu.
- Tap on the icon from the desktop to start the installation of Linux Ubuntu.
Note: After the installation from the USB stick or Micro SD card is completed you will notice that your screen will look a bit smaller and it will be quite hard to use it properly. For this you will need to set the scale a bit higher from inside Ubuntu but if you donâ€™t mind the small icons then you can start using it right away.
Was it hard to Install Ubuntu on your Surface Pro device? Now you have a brand new Linux Ubuntu operating system on your Surface Pro device and as you saw above it doesnâ€™t take more than half an hour to install it. For any questions regarding the article write us below and we will answer any questions regarding the installation of Ubuntu Linux.