By following the tutorial below you will find out a simple and fast way on how to backup your Windows 10 operating system because even if you don’t do anything out of the ordinary while using the Windows 10 Technical Preview the operating system might still malfunction and in this case you will always have a backup ready to use.
In the lines below you will find out how you can backup the whole operating system Windows 10 Technical Preview by using the “Acronis True Image” application. Also there are many other applications that you can use in order to do a backup of the operating system but this application will save you the most time.
- Download now Acronis True Image free version from Acronis official website
Backup your files in Windows 10:
- Place the Acronis Boot CD/DVD into the device.
- Reboot the Windows 10 Technical preview and boot from the Acronis application.
- Now you should have the Acronis menu in front of you.
- Left click on the Acronis true Image home feature.
- Now the system will reboot in the Acronis CD/DVD.
- Now in the next window that appears after the reboot left click on the “Backup” feature situated on the left side of the screen.
- On the right side under the “Back up” button you will need to left click or tap on the “My Disks”.
- Now you will get to a window where you have the partitions of the device.
- You will need to left click on the box in order to check it next to the partition where Windows 10 Technical Preview is installed.
- Left click or tap on the “Next” button situated in the lower right side of the window.
- Now a window “Target backup archive” will show.
- Left click to select the feature “Create new backup archive” on the right side of the window.
- Now under the topic “Backup location” Left click or tap on the “Browse” button.
- A new window will open where you will need to choose the location where you want the backup to be saved and also choose the name of the image file you are going to make.
Note: You will have to save this image file in another location then the one Windows 10 is installed.
- Left click on the “OK” button when you are done.
- Left click or tap on the “Next” button in the “Target backup archive” window.
- Left click or tap on the “Proceed” button in the next window that pops up.
- The Acronis application will start the backup of your operating system. Note: I would suggest saving this image file on an external hard drive in order to be able to access it even if the whole hard drive has malfunctioned and you have to change to a new one.
- In order to restore the image you made you need to boot again from the Acronis CD/DVD boot disk.
- Left click or tap on the “Acronis True Image” feature after the operating system reboots.
- Now on the left side pane, you have a “Recover” button and under it you need to left click or tap on the “My Disks” feature.
- Now you will have a “Select a backup from which to recover” window.
- Left click or tap on the “Browse” button in that page.
- Go to the location where you have the image you made above and left click to select the “.TIB” extension.
- After you selected it left click or tap on the “next” button in the “Select a backup from which to recover” window.
- You now have in front of you the “Choose recovery method” window.
- Left click to select the “Recover whole disks and partitions” feature.
- Left click on the “Next” button after you are done.
- In the “Select the items to recover” window check the box next to the drive that you have issues with.
- Left click on the “Next” button.
- Left click or tap on the “Next” button in the next window that appears.
- You will now get a “Summary” window in which you need to left click on the “Proceed” button.
- The system recovery will begin and it usually takes around 10 minutes for it to finish.
- Now you need to remove the Acronis CD/DVD and reboot your Windows 10 device.
Other Windows 10 backup solutions
This is not the only method you can use in order to backup your data. Keep in mind that there are many other programs with various features that you could be interested in. We have gathered some of the best in a dedicated backup software list (2018 list). Beware that some of them have free versions with limited possibilities. Check them out and tell us if it helped you.
This is it, folks, all you need to do in order to properly backup your Windows 10 operating system and feel a bit safer knowing that your data is in good hands. Write to us below in the comments section of the page if you have any other questions on this article and we will help you as soon as possible.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.