Are you trying to rename, delete, move or copy a certain folder from your Windows 10 device but you can’t? If you received the ‘Access is denied’ error 0x80070005 and you don’t know how to fix it, you are in the right place.
We will show you how to quickly fix this system problem with the help of the following troubleshooting steps.
But first, you should understand the reasons that made you experience this error in the first place – it’s important to know how the Windows 10 system works in order to apply the right solutions.
As outlined, the problem itself occurs when you will try to rename, copy, move or delete certain folders. Usually, the 0x80070005 ‘Access is denied’ error code pops up when you try to make changes within system files.
So, the error code is a security warning that tells you this: you don’t have the rights to remove, rename or move / copy that certain folder or file.
In this case, the issue can be easily fixed if you switch to the administrator account.
However, if you have admin privileges and you are still experiencing the same problem, you must apply additional troubleshooting steps.
The goal is to solve any possible errors that might cause folders or files related malfunctions. And here is how you can do that.
How to fix the 0x80070005 Access is denied error in Windows 10
Gain administrator rights
The first thing you should try is to gain admin rights within the folder you want to modify. You can do that by following:
- Right-click on the folder or file that you want to change / modify.
- Choose Properties from the list that will be displayed.
- From Properties, switch to Security tab.
- Look for the Group or user section.
- If you don’t have ownership rights for this folder choose the Advanced option.
- Select the Owner field located under Advanced Security Settings and pick Change.
- The User or Group window will be displayed. From there, click on Advanced.
- Type your username and click on Check Names in order to display the list of available accounts.
- Select your account and click on OK.
- In the end check ‘Replace owner on sub containers and objects’.
- Click OK and Apply all the changes.
Use Microsoft’s File and Folder Troubleshooter
You need to scan for problems related to system files and folders. Also, if there are such problems you need to fix them immediately.
Well, this process can be completed automatically by using a default troubleshooting process supported and offered by Microsoft.
I am talking about the Filer and Folder Troubleshooter service which can be initiated from this page.
Another way in which you can fix system errors is by using another troubleshooter featured by default on your Windows 10 system. So if the above explained steps aren’t helpful, you should start a SFC scan.
This process can be initiated by following:
- Right-click on the Windows Start icon and select Command Prompt (admin).
- Elevated command prompt window will be opened on your computer.
- There, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Wait while the system tries to find and repair possible Windows 10 system errors.
Update Group Policy Settings
If Group Policy Settings were recently changed, you might end up in experiencing the 0x80007005 ‘Access is denied’ error code.
Thus, for fixing this issue you should update Group Policy Settings from cmd:
- First, open an elevated cmd window (use the steps from above in that respect).
- In the cmd window type gpupdate /force and press Enter.
- When done, close the cmd window.
- Reboot your computer and see if this solution helped you.
As you noticed, some files can be modified only if you have administrator rights.
Moreover, if there are problems within the Windows 10 system your access to folders and files might be restricted, and you can get the 0x80007005 ‘Access is denied’ code error.
The steps that were listed above should help you fix these problems right away.
However, if you cannot manage to address the issues ,try to give us further details in order to help us better understand the reasons why you cannot modify your folders and files.
Without having the right information, we cannot find the perfect fix for you.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- “There are no more files” Windows 10 error fix
- Fix “Error: The system cannot open the file”
- Unable to download files from the internet in Windows 10 [Fix]