Although Windows 10 is free upgrade for all Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, it doesn’t mean that upgrade is always smooth. User have reported error 0x800704DD-0x90016 during Windows 10 Setup, so let’s see if we can fix this somehow.
If you’re getting error 0x800704DD-0x90016 while upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8, you need to follow this simple solution.
What to do if You’re Unable to Install Windows 10 Due to an Error 0x800704DD-0x90016
Users report that only way to upgrade to Windows 10 is to switch to administrator account before starting the upgrade process.
- Log off from your current Windows account.
- Log in with Windows Administrator account.
- Try to upgrade to Windows 10 using the Media Creation tool and Windows 10 ISO.
If you don’t have Administrator account you can create one by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R.
- When the Run dialog opens, type cmd and press Enter.
- When Command Prompt opens type the following line and press Enter to run it:
- If you want, you can set a password for administrator account by typing:
- net user administrator *
After doing that you should get password prompt where you can enter your desired password.
Now you have administrator account activated and you can switch to it easily. After switching to administrator account try upgrading to Windows 10 again. You should be able to do it without error 0x800704DD-0x90016.
Although this error can prevent you from upgrading to Windows 10, this error is relatively easy to fix by switching to administrator account. Only downside with switching to administrator account is that some of your personal files won’t be copied to Windows 10, so you might to copy them manually before upgrading.
We hope that our solution was helpful and that you’ve managed to fix error 0x800704DD-0x90016 on your computer.