- Keeping your Windows system updated is a priority because it keeps your computer safe.
- If the Windows Update Service registration is missing or corrupt, you cannot update your OS.
- If you have any problems with the automatic updates, check the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Our Windows 10 Hub is the most comprehensive part of our website, with lots of useful information.
Windows Update should be an essential aspect for every user of the Windows Operating System.
If the system does not get updated on time, it might face all kinds of problems such as security issues, performance issues, etc.
Most computers get their updates automatically but sometimes, although the Update Service is set on the Automatic Mode, the system is not able to install the available updates.
If this happens, please try to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter first. Go to Settings, then to Update & Security, and click on Troubleshoot to launch the troubleshooter.
If this doesn’t fix the problem, you can use one of the methods described below.
How can I fix the Windows Update Service registration problem?
- Disable the antivirus software
- Check Windows Update Related Services
- Run Windows Update Commands
- Run a SFC scan
- Turn off and on the Windows Firewall
1. Disable the antivirus software
You can also try to turn off the antivirus software temporarily. Sometimes, your antivirus tool may prevent your computer from installing the latest updates.
As a result, simply disabling your antivirus may help you fix this problem. If it doesn’t you will need to remove your antivirus completely.
We say completely because by using the regular uninstalling technique, many programs leave some leftover files behind. In time, that file accumulation may lead to system slow down and other problems.
That’s why we recommend using specialized software like IObit Uninstaller to remove your antivirus or any other program for that matter.
It’s extremely simple to use and once you run it, you will be amazed at the free space you will regain after the operation.
When you’re done with uninstalling the old antivirus and performing the OS updates, you shouldn’t leave your PC unprotected so we recommend switching to a safer and unobtrusive antivirus like VIPRE Antivirus Plus.
This security solution not only doesn’t interfere with your system or the update process but it’s also light on your PC.
VIPRE Antivirus Plus comes with a feature called RapidScan that helps speeding up the scanning process. When it starts a regular, programmed scan, it skips the files that were found safe in previous scans.
This security solution also has anti-threat protection and cloud-enabled security. It also offers ransomware protection so you are safe against those types of attacks.
VIPRE Antivirus PlusIf you need top performance protection but no interference, VIPRE is the right choice for you!
2. Check Windows Update Related Services
1. Press the Windows key + R shortcut.
2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
3. Locate the Windows Update Service, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and the Cryptographic
4. Right-click on each of the services and select Properties.
5. In the Startup type field, please select Automatic from the list.
Make sure you follow the above steps for all three mentioned services.
3. Run Windows Update Commands
1. Search for command and click on Run as administrator to open Command Prompt.
2. Copy and paste the commands below one by one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
3. Wait for the process to complete and then close the Command Prompt. Restart your computer and check if the issue persists.
4. Run an SFC scan
1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator as shown in the previous solution.
2. Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter
5. Turn off and on the Windows Firewall
4. Check the button next to turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) then click the OK button
5. After the Windows Update error is solved, don’t forget to turn back on the Windows Firewall performing the same steps.
We hope that one of the methods listed above helped you fix the problem. If you come across other solutions to fix this issue, let us know in the comments below.