- Zipping files and folders is extremely useful to archive your documents in suitable formats for safe-keeping or sharing.
- In today's article, we'll talk about dedicated tools, as well as about a special File Explorer feature.
- Care to read more about compressing files? Scroll through our File Compression section for useful material.
- For comprehensive guides on just about everything software-related, go to our How-To Hub.
Compressing files and folders is really important especially if you want to gain or free more space or if you want to safely store or transfer your personal data.
Since Microsoft changed the Windows UI, you might have experienced problems while trying to complete basic operations such as compressing files or folders.
So, if you are trying to zip a folder on a Windows OS or Mac but you can’t manage to complete this task, check out the guidelines below.
How do I zip a folder on Windows 10 or Mac
1. Use file compression software
There are tens of file compression tools available on the market, but today we are recommending WinZip.
It’s not just about the popularity of this tool, but it is really more than a just simple compression tool. It also allows users to share, manage, protect, and backup files.
WinZip can compress and unzips all major file formats, such as Zip, Zipx, RAR, 7z, TAR, GZIP, VHD, XZ and more.
Other notable features of WinZip include finding, opening, editing, moving, and sharing the files stored on PCs, networks, or cloud services.
The tool is integrated with Dropbox, G-Suite, or OneDrive.
WinZipCompress, share, protect, and backup your important large files with this popular tool for Windows.
2. Use the built-in compression feature
- Open File Explorer window on your device – you can do that by typing File Explorer in the search bar.
- Now just select the files or the folder you want to compress.
- Right-click on the same or just take a look over the options that are being already provided.
- Click or tap on share and select Zip.
- Next, a compressed folder will be automatically created in the same location you are currently located and with the same name as the file/folder you zipped.
- You can add new files or folders to the zipped folder at any time by drag&dropping the data you want to be compressed.
- Select the file or folder in the Finder.
- Right-click or control-click on the file to bring up the pop-up menu.
- Select Compress (filename).
- The compressed file is created in the same location, next to the original document.
There you have it, that’s how you can compress or zip a folder or file on your device.
If you’ve got additional tips and tricks on how to zip files and folders on Windows computer, do share your suggestions in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Zipping a folder means compressing an archive of a directory. It provides a convenient way to store and transfer a computer folder. Follow the guideline in this extensive article to learn more about the process.
Zipping files should preserve the quality of the included documents. As a matter of fact, dedicated compression tools are constantly improving in order to offer the most reliable services.
Zipping a folder is very easy. Take a look at this short article to see exactly how it’s done.