- If you can't open ZIP files in Windows 10, rest assured that there are a few ways to tackle this issue.
- Do note that this can be caused by a malfunctioning of the application used to open the ZIP archive.
- An unstable Internet connection is in the cards too, so visit this Internet & Network Solutions section.
- Take a look at our PC Software Troubleshooting Hub and you’ll find more guides to fix similar issues.
There is no doubt that ZIP is one of the most popular compressed file formats used to save, encrypt, and share important files. In spite of that, there are times when a ZIP file won’t open on Windows 10.
Some described simply getting just another regular ZIP file from as an email attachment. They downloaded it on their Windows 10 system and tried to extract its contents.
However, opening it by using WinRAR simply leads to an error message saying that The compressed folder is invalid or they simply can’t open the ZIP file in Windows 10.
If you’re no stranger to these issues, do consider one of the following culprits: the malfunctioning of the application that is used to open ZIP archives, harmful virus attack, Internet connection issues, and more.
Take a closer look below and learn a few simple ways to tackle this issue in Windows 10. One of these troubleshooting tips will most likely work for you as well.
What can I do if I can’t open ZIP file in Windows 10?
1. Try out a different file compression tool
WinZip is the best compressing utility when it comes to opening and extracting ZIP files on Windows 10. Rest assured that no similar issues ever occur while using it.
Moreover, do take into consideration the fact that it has several useful additions besides the archiver itself. For example, you can easily update the contents of a ZIP file to match the source.
You may also easily access and edit files shared with you by others, not to mention WinZip’s strong AES encryption that will make you feel safer even in a less secure online environment.
WinZipLooking for a way to open ZIP files again? Give a try to WinZip and you’ll forget all about this issue!
2. Use a powerful antivirus to scan your PC
Even if you’re careful and use an antivirus tool, you can easily pick up a computer virus/malware through email attachments, sharing music, gaming, browsing, or other web activities.
Some computer viruses are programmed to steal data or damage files, so don’t hesitate to perform a scan by using a solid antivirus.
The ZIP format is clearly a target; it includes a high number of files that are unzipped before you get the chance to view them. It becomes a serious problem if the Zip file you need to view does not open.
Whatever unarchiving software you use, we recommend trying out Vipre. This award-winning security can easily spot malware, remove it, and even block it from being installed in the first place.
On top of that, you’re about to enjoy free customer support and malware remediation, just in case a virus has indeed infected your PC.
Vipre Antivirus PlusIf you can't open ZIP files, you’re entitled to suspect a malware-related issue. Just use Vipre in order to fix it!
3. Make sure that your Internet connection is stable
If you experience frequent Internet issues resulting in disconnection and reconnection to the network, take a second to analyze things.
An occurrence of interruption while downloading a ZIP file clearly is another potential cause of not being able to open or extract on Windows 10
If the Internet connection is unstable, don’t hesitate to follow a few troubleshooting tips, as here described:
- Firstly, check the cable modem to see if it feels hot. If necessary, let it cool down for a few minutes.
- You can also power off your PC, then turn off the modem by disconnecting the power cord from the back of the modem. Leave it unplugged for a few seconds, then plug it back into the modem.
- If restarting the modem made no difference, do consider that the network card in your computer may also be unable to keep a stable Internet connection.
- Finally, contact your ISP to make sure the problem is not on their end.
The fact that the ZIP file won’t open in Windows 10 is truly frustrating. This will prevent you from working efficiently, but you should be able to fix it by using our previously mentioned solutions.
In case you have any questions or suggestions regarding this problem, feel free to post them in the comments section below.